• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

critique my tom ford suit...

trader

Reaction score
So this has been sitting in my closet for a few months now waiting for the F/W to come. It's a wool/cashmere flannel. I've been on and off as to whether or not to keep it. For some reason when I look at myself in the mirror up close it just doesn't feel right, but if I look at myself from a distance or under dim light it looks nice to me. I think it might be because the wide chalkstripes and big lapels aren't as noticeable which normally make the suit look a bit disproportionate to me (even though I know that's part of the aesthetic). But from afar the silhouette seems to becomes the focus, which I like.

So if I keep it I want to know what to tell the tailor to fix. I'm normally a 38R-39R but this suit is a 40R. It's a Base C cut so it's fuller than his super slim stuff. I've tried on Base A and B and thought the cut was just too much for me.

Possible Alterations:
* Pants too full everywhere. The cuff opening is 9.5 inches which is huge to me (I'm an incotex type of guy). But I'm worried slimming down the leg will throw off the balance.
* The right sleeve has a divot in it 50% of the time just depending on how the jacket is sitting on me at the moment. I have a shoulder imbalance because I have one leg longer than the other, which makes my hips imbalanced too. Can that be fixed?
* Is the jacket too long?
* Waistcoat is too big, will have slimmed down
* I feel like there's too much bunching in the chest.
* Rotate sleeve heads or slim the sleeves?

If you think the stomach sticks out too much it's cause I have lordosis. Been working on fixing it for a while now (physio, lots of core training).

IMG_3323.jpg
IMG_3312.jpg
IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg
IMG_3314.jpg
IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg
IMG_3337.jpg

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the jacket, it looks great (you'd have to be a true perfectionist to worry about the divet). I agree the vest could be taken in a tiny bit, but not essential.

As for the trousers, I'd definitely have them tapered below the knee, perhaps to 8.5in. As far as the upper leg, that's your call, I'd ask your tailor's advice regarding slimming, but I think taking it in a touch would be fine.

Overall, great suit, though!

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fit looks good all around.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic but I can't wait for someone to storm in here and tell you 19 different things that are totally wrong with it. Let the jackassotry begin.

mrhills0146

Reaction score
If I owned that suit, I would have the waistcoat taken in a little bit, then I'd enjoy a great-looking suit.

Very nice. Don't mess with it too much. You may be used to much narrower-leg pants, but I wouldn't change a thing about the pants or jacket on that suit.

Damned fine looking suit. Well done.

-Matt in Atlanta

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Looks great. No need tailoring. If this is how the suit looks with no alterations count your lucky stars that Tom Ford has your suits for body shape down to a T.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great IMO, including the wider opening of the pants.

The jacket does look a little bit too waisted from the back view, but just a small amount. A great looking suit.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't mess with it, and certainly don't go back to the 1980s by tapering the pants.

But don't wear the vest, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads