• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

critique my tom ford suit...

trader

Reaction score
So this has been sitting in my closet for a few months now waiting for the F/W to come. It's a wool/cashmere flannel. I've been on and off as to whether or not to keep it. For some reason when I look at myself in the mirror up close it just doesn't feel right, but if I look at myself from a distance or under dim light it looks nice to me. I think it might be because the wide chalkstripes and big lapels aren't as noticeable which normally make the suit look a bit disproportionate to me (even though I know that's part of the aesthetic). But from afar the silhouette seems to becomes the focus, which I like.

So if I keep it I want to know what to tell the tailor to fix. I'm normally a 38R-39R but this suit is a 40R. It's a Base C cut so it's fuller than his super slim stuff. I've tried on Base A and B and thought the cut was just too much for me.

Possible Alterations:
* Pants too full everywhere. The cuff opening is 9.5 inches which is huge to me (I'm an incotex type of guy). But I'm worried slimming down the leg will throw off the balance.
* The right sleeve has a divot in it 50% of the time just depending on how the jacket is sitting on me at the moment. I have a shoulder imbalance because I have one leg longer than the other, which makes my hips imbalanced too. Can that be fixed?
* Is the jacket too long?
* Waistcoat is too big, will have slimmed down
* I feel like there's too much bunching in the chest.
* Rotate sleeve heads or slim the sleeves?

If you think the stomach sticks out too much it's cause I have lordosis. Been working on fixing it for a while now (physio, lots of core training).

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the jacket, it looks great (you'd have to be a true perfectionist to worry about the divet). I agree the vest could be taken in a tiny bit, but not essential.

As for the trousers, I'd definitely have them tapered below the knee, perhaps to 8.5in. As far as the upper leg, that's your call, I'd ask your tailor's advice regarding slimming, but I think taking it in a touch would be fine.

Overall, great suit, though!

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fit looks good all around.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic but I can't wait for someone to storm in here and tell you 19 different things that are totally wrong with it. Let the jackassotry begin.

mrhills0146

Reaction score
If I owned that suit, I would have the waistcoat taken in a little bit, then I'd enjoy a great-looking suit.

Very nice. Don't mess with it too much. You may be used to much narrower-leg pants, but I wouldn't change a thing about the pants or jacket on that suit.

Damned fine looking suit. Well done.

-Matt in Atlanta

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Looks great. No need tailoring. If this is how the suit looks with no alterations count your lucky stars that Tom Ford has your suits for body shape down to a T.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great IMO, including the wider opening of the pants.

The jacket does look a little bit too waisted from the back view, but just a small amount. A great looking suit.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't mess with it, and certainly don't go back to the 1980s by tapering the pants.

But don't wear the vest, either.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.