• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my suit.. needs alterations and have access to good tailor

dbalz

Reaction score
After being on SF for a few weeks I was convinced I had to buy this suit when I saw it on sale at the local mall. Its a Corneliani suit made of 100% Cashmere tailored in Italy. I am not a very knowledgeable person on suit tailoring but the inside of the jacket had some signs of very good construction... the suit is canvassed because you can see the off white thick fabric underneath some of the lining towards the stitching on the back. ( i can add pics if people are interested in the technicals) So in short its an awesome suit even by SF standards I would imagine. Here is the problem, I am a little vertically challenged .. OK quite vertically challenged. The suit is marked 50 and also has 7C next to it.. no clue what that means. I usually wear a US 40 or 38... so the suit is close to my actual fitting... but I am pretty sure it needs shortening. I also feel the shoulders maybe a tiff too broad. I can feel empty space near the shoulder pads. The good news is I will be in India for the new year. For those of you know India has no shortage of good tailors and I can visit Grover or Vaish Tailors which has been mentioned on this forum before and I believe a few people have even gotten suits stitched from him. Now what I need to know is if after all that effort, can I get this suit to fit me well? Its a ni$e suit if you know what I mean... and I don't mind spending the money if it fits well.. but for the same cost, I can get a pretty decent MTM suit made of very good fabric in India. Thank you all for your help... but I feel I am also helping SF by giving the members an opportunity to practice their fashion critique.. which lets not lie.. is quite enjoyed by people around here.
dsc00796.jpg
dsc00797e.jpg
dsc00798j.jpg
dsc00799r.jpg
dsc00800do.jpg

bmf895

Reaction score
I think it'd be wise for you to size down to a 38 (48EU). And get a short, not a regular jacket. Return the suit or depending on what you paid, sell it on the B&S for profit!

jungshoe

Reaction score
if this thing is marked 7c, it's already a short jacket. you might try a 48 short. this looks like one of those 50th anniversary corneliani suits several of the guys were selling in b&S a few months ago.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is very nice, but it's way too large on you. I wouldn't attempt any alterations and would rather return it or sell it elsewhere. You need a size down or two. Speaking from experience here, I've been there too...

Wayward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
The suit is very nice, but it's way too large on you. I wouldn't attempt any alterations and would rather return it or sell it elsewhere. You need a size down or two. Speaking from experience here, I've been there too...

+1

Also, it looks like your bottom button is done up. Never do that.

otacon

Reaction score
Keeping a bottom button is all right if it's the button at the waistline. But it shouldn't be the button at the waistline and would look silly, and is a sign that the jacket is too small. Or if it gets cold out.

I agree that the jacket is much too big and you need to return it or sell it. Tailors can only do so much without throwing off certain parts of the suit. Of course, if a tailor comes on here and says, no, it's salvageable, listen to him over me.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PERFECT, textbook perfect example of a wonderful suit in superb fabric with lots of handwork.........................

all RUINED by a ****** (nay, HORRENDOUS) fit

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lee +1

dbalz

Reaction score
hmm.. i knew it needed alterations but didn't think it would be that far off.
any way... am i going to get totally flammed for asking what this suit might sell for on here or any other place like ebay.. i guess pm me if you have estimates...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads