• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my suit...going to a party

ethirtynine

Reaction score
im going to an 18th b-day next week and i wanted some opinons on my suit. now i know it not some gq ****, but im pretty sure i'll be one of the better dressers at the occasion. other guys tend to wear oversized black dress shirts with white ties or shirts/ties that match their dunk sb's
blush.gif
anyways, what can i do to improve my look (not only suit, but shirt, tie, etc.). any suggestions? or does it look good already? thanks

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks pretty good man. The only things I would change are that you might want a smaller shirt collar. If that is not an option then you might want to use a bigger tie knot. Otherwise I think you look good.

edit: I noticed one thing. Your pants are too long.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you're planning to kill the crowd with your GWB impersonation, I think you're looking a little too Presidential for a birthday party. The shirt looks white or pink. Pink is good, white not so much. The red power tie seems a bit much and +1 on the bigger knot (and too long of pants). I don't know, but from the way you describe the "black shirt" crowd, I'd throw some color and "fun" into the mix here.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is quite an elegant sartorial combi ....
The suit is not ill-fitted and the colours are well matched but you're playing a bit too safe for my liking...
Do not forget the single fact that you're only 18 and you're taking the risk to look like somebody being dressed to impress or reassure his girlfriend's parents before a date....
I do agree with you with the black tie/black suit brigade and you're going to find slowly your own style ....

kshah

Reaction score
Change your tie, tie a larger knot, and throw in a pocket square. You look pretty decent anyway.

WSW

Reaction score
I would wear a light blue tie and a colorful silk pocket square. The red tie is too businesslike for a party.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice fit. I agree with the above responses that it looks a bit too businesslike. What shoes are you thinking of wearing?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You should consider wearing shoes.

The post modernist look with the cardboard box on your face ,Devo style,does not match your sartorial look!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol8[1].gif

The tie is a bit boring .....Try a bigger knot and i would try to make more of a statement of my tie on a personal note to counter-balance the classical sartorial combi...

Leslierc

Reaction score
Nice suit. The look is very "business formal" for a birthday party though.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is. The tie and/or the shirt needs to be less formal. (The suit can stay, as it fits so well and the wearer might not have another one.) Maybe a pink shirt would make it casual enough. The original poster might as well describe the other options he has at his disposal.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Is this a formal bday party? Or do you just want to gear up?

IF you just want to gear up, at least get rid of the corporate vibe that's making you look like you just got off work in an office.

If it isn't a formal bday party, remember that being well dressed also means taking into account the environment you're going to and if everyone's wearing super casual polos/jeans/sneakers then you might want to rethink wearing a suit and opt for smart casual instead.

itskub

Reaction score
if its a party with friends, i advise against the suit. if you think about it, most people consider a regular button-up shirt and slacks as "dressy" as it is. a suit may be too much.
im 20 and id love to wear a suit whenever possible, but you should realize more often then not it's overdressing and awkward.

ethirtynine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Is this a formal bday party? Or do you just want to gear up?

IF you just want to gear up, at least get rid of the corporate vibe that's making you look like you just got off work in an office.

If it isn't a formal bday party, remember that being well dressed also means taking into account the environment you're going to and if everyone's wearing super casual polos/jeans/sneakers then you might want to rethink wearing a suit and opt for smart casual instead.

yes its a formal party, at a banquet hall.

i have a patterned brown tie and a patterned dark blue tie. would those look better.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethirtynine
yes its a formal party, at a banquet hall.

i have a patterned brown tie and a patterned dark blue tie. would those look better.

is your suit navy? hard to tell on my monitor. if so, the blue tie might blend too much, depending on what the pattern is.

Keep in mind, this is a CELEBRATION so I wouldnt go dressed like you're going into a boardroom. You can gear up and still employ a sense of fun (perhaps a patterned tattersall shirt....a more lively tie that doesnt look office friendly)....and throw in a Kent Wang pocketsquare
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads