• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my suit - Belvest vs Isaia (with pics)

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after almost three years on the SF, it's about time i buy my first real suit!!!

pictures are before alterations and i wanted to get opinions/advice on what people thought. are they keepers or should i return them? also keep in mind that i have gained about 15-20 lbs during my recovery from back surgery and i hope to lose most of that in the next 3-6 months.

the suits were purchased from STP. the Belvest is a white stripe on black and the Isaia is a yellow stripe on black. comments on the versatility of these patterns would be great too (as opposed to a straight navy or charcoal suit which i do not own). ~$550 for the Belvest and ~$670 for the Isaia.

fire away and be as brutal as possible. no comments about the state of my room please. it's embarrassing enough.

thanks!

Isaia front

the sleeves seem a little long compared to the Belvest (which i think are spot on) and i cannot get the lapels to lie flat on my body. i'd also like a little more waist suppression.

Isaia side

you probably can't see it on the pics but there is a visible gap in the vents between the part that covers the butt and the main body of the suit. they don't overlap on top of each other. would this get solved with me losing some weight?

Isaia back

what is with all the rolls?

Belvest front

this jacket seems to feel more comfortable but i never noticed the bottom button showing until after i saw the pics. is that because my waist is too big? as with the Isaia, the lapels do not lie flat on the body.

Belvest side

same vent problem as with the Isaia.

Belvest back

same roll problem as with the Isaia although not as pronounced.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
maybe it's my monitor but the suits both looks so dark I can't see any of the troubling details. one thing I can see is that the Belvast front seems to gape open at the lapels and the sleeves look real short, which I *personally* like, but it's probably shorter than the typical guy showing cuffs would prefer.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Undo the seams on the side vents and then see how it fits. Why do you want the lapels to lie flat
frown.gif
?

Leslierc

Reaction score
There seems to be a fair amount of "pulling" along the arms and across the backs of both suits, which suggests that the jackets may be a little snug and need some work.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think after you lose some weight the fit will be better.
The vent gaps are from too tight a jacket.
I like the overall look of the Belvest better.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think both jackets are too small.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
OMG- Black suits.
devil.gif

Good for you!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems a little snug. Perhaps the closed vents are causing problems.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are too tight. That is why they ripple in the small of the back. That is your belly pulling the jacket foward (I know this from personal expierence). If you plan on droping some pounds that would fix it. Also, the the belvest looks too tight in the chest. This may not change if you loose weight so you probably should size up regardless of weight loss. Remember, you can take in the waist of any coat so if you size up it doesn't mean it will look boxy or bad. As far as the patterns I like the Isaia better.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as versatility, I think these are going to be far less versatile than navy or gray. I wouldn't wear a black/stripe suit to a wedding or to an interview for a conservative job, for example. And if you have to wear them repeatedly in a short span, folks may notice. (Unlike with a solid, when you could have two or more similar solid suits.)

Doesn't make them bad, of course. Just depends on what you want/need from them.

coatandthai

Reaction score
How did you manage such good prices on STP? I'd be interested in your assessment of Belvest vs. Isaia. I have an STP Belvest suit and it's truly fantastic, far ahead of Zegna and Corneliani.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jackets tend not to hang correctly when the vents are still tacked shut, but in this case there is more too it. Thay are simply to small... I'd order at least a size up if you can, and see what happens.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
both are just too tight.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as usual, you guys rock! thanks for all the feedback. i think the general concensus is to return. i *may* keep the Isaia for a little bit until after i lose some weight and see what happens then.

a couple quick responses:

edmorel: i always thought that the lapels were supposed to lie fairly flush on the chest and not bulge out too much like they seem to do on both the Belvest and the Isaia.

coatandthai: i really can't say too much regarding Isaia vs Belvest as i am a complete newbie when it comes to suits. as for the deals, follow the STP coupon thread in B & S religiously. it sounds like the Buying and Selling forum at AAAC is a good resource too.

-Jeff

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isaias have those cute little loops for your belt-thingie on the pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads