Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Critique My Resume

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by chrisjr, Jun 14, 2012.

1. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

You can tighten a lot of things.

Thing about resumes is that the cliches do matter: keep it short, make it readable, people will read it quickly, mostly scanning.

I recommend this book Gallery of Best Resumes libraries usually have them so check it out and just make copies of resumes you like. It showcases resumes categorized under specific career fields. Browse through the whole book to steal ideas and buzzwords. It really does help.

2. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

very interesting perspective, i found that second paragraph particularly informative. best of luck to you out there.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

3. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

Thanks for the tip. I found a pdf of it here.
    Ended up submitting it yesterday for consideration. Will be interesting to see if i get a call back.
    Thanks for the tips all, hope others can use this thread to receive feedback on their resumes as well.

This was the most recent non-personalized version. opted for Times New Roman + Garamond. Will probably get rid of the special interests section going forward but i still see some value in it so the interviewer/manager can get a better idea of what i do with my time outside of the office and hopefully believe i am a well rounded individual.
    [ATTACHMENT=3004]CV 2012 for review.docx (31k. docx file)[/ATTACHMENT]

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

For what it`s worth, I attended a resume workshop yesterday and the recruiter specifically mentioned that they like the "interests" section because it gives them a feel of what type of person you are outside of the cubicle and if you'll fit in with the company culture. As for relevant courses, she suggested only using courses that are unique and will differentiate you from your peers. Putting accounting 101 when you're applying for an accounting position is useless because everyone has it. On the other hand, a wine tasting course gives you the chance to talk about how you're well-versed in proper etiquette and dealing with clients.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yup I fully support the inclusion of an interests section. I've had good, casual conversations as a result of my interests, both during my interviews and after when I accepted my offer and started working.

I became "famous" for wearing raw denim and everyone would ask me what it was while some of the more fashionable people (women) knew what it is and would talk to me about clothes in general. This led to their observation that I have well-fitting shirts and pants and some of the senior guys would ask me where I got my clothes.

So all in all good idea to include interests, IME.

6. plei89

plei89 Senior member

You included fashion in your interests? I always felt that would be weird to bring up, especially during an interview.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Lol no. I would never put "fashion" as an interest. I put "raw denim" and at the end of interviews they'd be like "okay, so what exactly is raw denim now? Ive been itching to ask you."

And then I'd tell them.

8. plei89

plei89 Senior member

:lol: I would never have the balls to do that.

What industry are you working/looking to work in out of curiosity?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm in management consulting.

10. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

so we're split on the value of "special interests" on a resume (is that what you call it on your resume, GF?).
    also, i hate cover letters.

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yeah, Cover Letters suck but I always do them even if it's a short email with my resume attached.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I just label it "Interests."

13. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

RE: Cover Letters:

I saw a huge increase in interviews once I switched from a traditional paragraph style cover letter, to this format:
    http://www.workopolis.com/content/a...w-style-that-makes-writing-cover-letters-easy

I went from getting maybe 1 interview for every 10 applications I sent out .. to almost a 100% interview/application rate .. and landed a job with my dream company within 3 months of switching.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thought this was a spam post till I saw the post count.

But I could see that grabbing the attention of hiring managers in sales. (A lot of emphasis on past results).

Were all these applications you sent out for sales jobs?

15. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

That's a nice format, have you got a word template?
    Cheers