• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my Prom Tuxedo!!! Pics Attached!! UPDATED

azncreazion

Reaction score
So I got it tailored, and a appropriate pocket square and bow tie.

What do you think? I feel it is 95% of what I was looking for... not as slim fitted enough though.

DSC02512.jpg

DSC02515.jpg

So after going through a dozen stores, I finally found a tuxedo within my price range and liking.

I need your help on it! Here is my idea so far, I will be wearing a pocket square and tie bow tie. The pants and jacket will be altered (pictures are unaltered) to be more "slim fit." The shirt is a slim fit one from H&M.

Questions...
Do you think the jacket sleeve is to short?
Is that bow tie size appropriate or to small?
What do you think of the shirt?
Would the plastic buttons be alright on the shirt?
Scale it 1-10

Thanks!!!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61...n/IMG_0052.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61...n/IMG_0051.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61...n/IMG_0053.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61...n/IMG_0054.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61...2182337146.jpg

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the pre tied bowtie and notch lapels, I like.

azncreazion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sweetness
Bow tie too small.

Lapels aren't shawl or peak.

Do you not like the lapel? I tried on the peak version and I actually liked this one... what do you think?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
notch lapels are for suits, tuxs look far better with peak or shawl

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes the sleeves are a bit too small, the tie is deffinatley too small for your proportions. The shirt is a nice fit, usualy you want to fly front or studs but you can get away with the plastic buttons.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those regular buttons on your shirt? It's hard to tell. If so, get a stud set. All the other pics look like the collar is nowhere near your neck. Are you sure you have the right jacket size?

Blackl3232

Reaction score
The neck area of the jacket is too big, isn't it? The jacket collar is running away from his neck.

edit: ahh, you beat me to it.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
^^^

I agree. Aren't the points of the collar supposed to contour down to the lapel, especially when the jacket is buttoned? It looks like there's way too much room in the back of neck.

OP, side pics please...

SlamMan

Reaction score
Interesting choice to buy a tux at your age. Most likely you'll out grow this one quickly. Collar definately looks too big. It would be interesting to see what the next jacket size down would look like. To me this one looks a touch big. Might be helpful to see pics without the jacket.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to have a larger amount of cuff to show with my tuxedo than with my suit, so I shorten the sleeves till i get about 1" of cuff.

The notch lapels are not okay with the majority of the forum but majority of the kids at prom wouldn't care.

Get a bigger self-tied bowtie.

jkw

Reaction score
Apart from the fit issues and sartorial no nos that only the forum members will criticize, it looks very good. It's pretty much the classic look, and you'll probably look better than everyone there. You went the extra mile and actually got a tux, and you haven't fallen for all the random colourful crap.

azncreazion

Reaction score
Thanks Jkw
smile.gif
In regards to the shirt, I believe I just need to wash it in order for me to fit into it a little better due to the shrinkage. Does the jacket look that obviously to small on me? Can it be altered to fix those discrepancies?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You look a million times better than I did for my prom, so I'd consider your effort a victory. However, the jacket collar is way too big and the sleeves aren't shaped well. You are showing too much shirt cuff, but I can't tell if that's because our jacket sleeve is too short or because it's bunching up too much on your arm. As for style, I'd boot the notch lapels (though they're not a disaster), and your bowtie is too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads