• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my new suit

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing i'm noticing that isn't mentioned (or i overloooked) in the last picture you posted it looks like there is puckering at the left arm hole. My opinion would be to bring it back. You probibly spent a good deal of money on it and you can get a better suit for the money. My opinion on Adrian Jules is way overhyped for the product. Nothing special about it and its not as great as they say, if their so called master tailor fit you thats telling you something.

Ulrich75

Reaction score
Looks no quite good. Fabric likes me. But shoulders, armhole, and...
I hope it isn't errection from new suit.
The tailor might litle bit more to work with your sillouette

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have seen nice suits from adrian Jules. They can only make a suit based on the information given to them.
who ever took the original measurements has no clue.
Or the mistakes that were made in the measurments were made worse during fittings by the "Master" tailor.

some of the photos seem off as your posture seams a bit stiff.
are you standing comfortably or are you puffing up your cheast a bit?

also the right shoulder seems to have some roping while the left one does not.

the main problem seems to be that they cut this suit on a pattern that is a size or two too large. the armehole are way too big.

I would mention your displeasure and see if they can remake the jacket. the pants seem wearable.

It is not worth the tailors time to try to alter this garment again.

carl

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Can somebody point me to some pictures of a bigger guy, 46L and 200 lbs +, in a great fitting bespoke suit?

I need to be able to show them how I want to look and how far off the look is right now.

Memphis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
Can somebody point me to some pictures of a bigger guy, 46L and 200 lbs +, in a great fitting bespoke suit?

I need to be able to show them how I want to look and how far off the look is right now.

I'm 5'6" 220lbs and wear a 46R. I can post up a Pic of a bespoke Ron Rivito I have when I get home from work.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Memphis
I'm 5'6" 220lbs and wear a 46R. I can post up a Pic of a bespoke Ron Rivito I have when I get home from work.

Thank you. I was told they will fix it but I was told there was only so much they can do for a big guy. Now I am 6'2 and 230 lbs. I don't think my proportions are so drastic as to make this an excuse. I don't think there is an excuse even if they were. This is what a tailor does.

I would imagine some photo evidence of what can be done on larger gentlemen could be persuasive.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CommercialDoc
I was told they will fix it but I was told there was only so much they can do for a big guy.
im sorry, but that is crap. Ive got a mate almost exactly your size, I referred him to Mr Dung here in Vietnam, who charges him sixty bucks, gives him one fitting, and wouldnt let him out of the store looking like that.
Now I am 6'2 and 230 lbs.
and that is not even that big. I mean bigger than average sure, but hell, youre no Shaq

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I agree with M@T. Will you look like Pierce Brosnan? No. Is your jacket going to looks less shapely because you've got a little more in the midsection? Yes. However, this coat is just screwed up. Setting everything else aside that could be categorized as "house style" -- the width of the shoulders, the padding in the shoulders, etc. -- the fact that the quarters overlap each other by a few inches is unacceptable and doesn't have any other origin other than poor measuring, cutting, and stitching.

fastrunningmom

Reaction score
Jacket problems aside, the saggy seat in the shot from the back makes it look like you are wearing a suit 3 sizes too big. I would think that they would have been able to at least get the pants right, and I really don't know much about this topic at all. From the back those pants look like you are a pre-teen sagging his pants.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a guy who's substantially bigger than what you describe (at least in weight, if not height) who looks pretty darn good (though I wish the photo gave a better look at the lower part of the suit):

356.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just look at David Suchet's wardrobe in Poirot.
untitled1copyqe9.jpg
dickorydock09os0.jpg

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Here's a guy who's substantially bigger than what you describe (at least in weight, if not height) who looks pretty darn good (though I wish the photo gave a better look at the lower part of the suit):

356.jpg

It is interesting, my father looked a fair bit like Jackie Gleason and had similar mannerisms. Also, although a portly man, he was always impeccable. He never wore anything but wool trousers and either camp shirts or dress shirts with a sports coat (only a suit to rare formal events). He was also always very well groomed. A larger man can look very well put together.

When my father wore a sports coat or a suit, he had it fitted well for his frame.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ

356.jpg

In my opinion, one of the greatest performances in American cinema belongs to Jackie Gleason in The Hustler.

When, after playing pool for 36 hours, Gleason cleans up, gently slides his jacket back on and turns to Newman to say, "Fast Eddie, let's you and I shoot a little pool" you saw the colour drain from Newman's face. He knew he was broken.

Gleason putting that jacket back on. Academy Award of How to Get Dressed.

lefty

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you order this suit directly from the factory in Rochester or through a retailer?

I have a suit on order with them and seeing the results has me rather nervous...

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Did you order this suit directly from the factory in Rochester or through a retailer?

I have a suit on order with them and seeing the results has me rather nervous...

Direct from the factory. Fitted three times in their storefront.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads