• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my New Shirt (TailorStore.com)!

stephen

Reaction score
After waiting one year and receiving no response from my Jantzen order, I recently decided to try "tailorstore.com", a Swedish storefront offering dress shirts through a fairly well designed website. (I think they outsource the actual tailoring to somewhere in Middle East / Asia). They did an exceptional job and it arrived in exactly 3 weeks for ~$50! It has been washed twice and has yet to suffer. My measurements are as follows: Neck: 15.5" Chest: 40.5" Waist: 30.5" Hips: 34.5" Back: 19.5" Arm Length: 30" Cuffs: 7.5" Biceps: 12.5" Length: 29" Other non-obvious shirt details: "Figure Sewn" Fit, Side Back Pleats, Classic Bottom Cut, Beveled Cuff, Normal Sleeve Width, Normal Collar Height, Ivory Buttons. Photos are below. I think I'm going to make a few changes: Left Sleeve Length: minus 1.0" Right Sleeve Length: minus 1.25" Cuffs: minus 0.5" Waist: plus 0.75" Length: plus 1.0" Agree / Disagree? Any other suggestions? Would appreciate any critiques!
laugh.gif
4tz79xz.jpg
66cruvm.jpg
6fj4box.jpg
4xvhb89.jpg
639oow1.jpg
6fsi51g.jpg
4lqftqq.jpg

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I think everything looks really good with the exception of the arms. They look a little long and baggy.

SUPER K

Reaction score
I'll bet if you stretch or exert it would un-tuck. Definitely add to the length. Nice, slim fit.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves are too long, or cuffs are too big for your wrists/hands.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SUPER K
I'll bet if you stretch or exert it would un-tuck. Definitely add to the length. Nice, slim fit.

Agreed. I might scale down the planned reduction of the sleeve length, just so you don't overshoot.

Keep in mind that, looking at the photo, shrinking the cuffs 0.5" might make it tough for the sleeve to slip over a wristwatch, if you wear one.

Overall, very nice.

A couple of questions: What do you think of the fabric? And "ivory" buttons? That can't be right. Mother of pearl, perhaps?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
I think everything looks really good with the exception of the arms. They look a little long and baggy.

what he said. cuff's are fine, actual shirt sleeve is baggy. also maybe 1/2 to 1 inch too long? how far does the sleeve drop down/extend with the the cuff unbuttoned?

Carruthers

Reaction score
Stephen, nice shirt. I'm no expert but judging by the comparison between the shots with your arms straight--where the sleeve pools around your forearm--and the ones with your arms bent--where it still looks like you can spare some sleeve length--I would lean towards reducing length rather than cuff size.

Which of the pink fabrics did you go with? You sadi that it's in the $50 range so I'm guessing the pink oxford? How do you like the "feel"?

Cheers.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall, good.

+1 on the cuff size/sleeve length.

Also, note the horizontal pull lines across the back when you fold your arms. I think the torso is a little too fitted.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks good. All the criticisms above are just personal preferences of the posters. I'm going to have to look into this site.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I think it looks good. All the criticisms above are just personal preferences of the posters. I'm going to have to look into this site.

Wrong. They are the Truth, received directly from the mouth of God. We will brook no dissent from the likes of you.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha okay, sorry, I retract.

anyway, I wonder how well they match cloth patterns?

stephen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
A couple of questions: What do you think of the fabric? And "ivory" buttons? That can't be right. Mother of pearl, perhaps?
Thanks for the comment, everyone! It's difficult to judge fabric quality, but after two washing it looks very good. Better than the Land's End Custom shirt I ordered (in my subjective opinion). That said -- I doubt it's super high quality, after all, they have to make money on a $40 shirt. It is the Pink Oxford ($39.95). Their website is exceptionally well done for a tailor. It's worth checking out... (Although, I don't think they have a ton of fabric choices relative to someone like Ravi's Tailor). Looks like they have 40 - 50 choices. I'm going to order some patterns in my next order. "Ivory" is the button color rather than the material. I would expect that they're all made of various colored plastics, but can't confirm. Once again, thanks! Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm excited to finally find a shirt that actually fits my 6'5" lean torso.

Optimas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stephen
I think they outsource the actual tailoring to somewhere in Middle East / Asia.
Just in case anyone happens to be curious; the tailoring is done in Sri Lanka, the plant is owned and operated by tailorshirts.com.

I like the shirt; agree with the other posters on the sleeves – from what I have read, this has been a general problem. Do you have any idea of whether the sleeves on the shirt match the measurements you provided?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads