• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my new overcoat please

jtang

Reaction score
Just bought this RLBL overcoat in 40R from Century 21. Ideally, I'd have liked a 42R but they didn't have anymore. Can I get a critique?

This is with me wearing a dress shirt and my suit jacket.

Close up of top button. Can definitely see a little pulling. Is this acceptable?

I know the sleeves are too short, and I'm planning to bring it to a tailor. But before I do, would it be advisable/possible? The fabric in the sleeve goes until the end of my thumb.

NOLA1

Reaction score
it looks pretty tight and if you are planning on wearing w/ a suit or jacket it won't work. good looking coat though.

jtang

Reaction score
NOLA, thanks for your response. I'm already wearing it with a jacket in those pictures... still too tight?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no. but your sleeves are way too short. they should be about 1 inch longer than the sleeves of a suit jacket.

cvac

Reaction score
How does it feel while walking and sitting down. Can you reach your arms in front of you without it feeling super restricting? Looks a little tight.

That is a car coat, not an overcoat, btw.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are planning on wearing it with a jacket, then the coat is too small, and from you posted, there is not enough fabric to lengthen sleeve or let out the waist. Notice on the back profile the vent gape open? That's the waist being too tight.

If you are planning on wearing the coat casually without a jacket underneath, the fit would almost be perfect, and the overcoat would be a keeper.

cvac

Reaction score
texas is right. the bunching at the shoulders and the vent standing open are telltale signs the coat is too tight. return it or sell it to someone.

literasyme

Reaction score
A size too small. It looks very tight around the torso -- visible pulling at the chest and the flaring vent looks bad.

coogie

Reaction score
jtang;1367113 said:
Just bought this RLBL overcoat in 40R from Century 21. Ideally, I'd have liked a 42R but they didn't have anymore. Can I get a critique? This is with me wearing a dress shirt and my suit jacket. What voltage are you connected to there?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm certain you were pleased you got this at a bargain, but bargains come at a price

Years ago when I didn't commission bespoke garments, I learned the hard way to always buy the size bigger, not larger than my norm, when running into bargains. This always gave the alterations tailor more to work with in case certain work was needed, ie in your case, the sleeves.

If the alterations tailor can't satisfy the fit you desire, consider donating it...traditionally its the costlier mistakes which teach us the best lessons

Thanks for posting pictures and having the courage to invite comments/criticisms

coogie

Reaction score
did you take it back?

jtang

Reaction score
Everyone-

Thanks for all your candid replies, you guys helped a lot.

Hopefully they'll get more RLBL's this season because everything else they have is eh.

coogie- that's an RJ45 ethernet cable =P

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads