• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique My Jantzen.. Yet another..

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ricky is really cranking these out now with all of the new Critique My.. posts. Anyway, here is mine. This is laundered twice and worn out twice, so I have a good idea for how it wears and feels.

I'm planning on increasing the hip diameter by 1/2", reducing the sleeve cuff diameter by 1/4" on each side, and increasing the shoulder measurement by 1" total, so the armhole will drop by 1/2" on each side. I'll keep the overall sleeve measurement (from midback to end of sleeve) constant, so only the armhole will move.

My goals for the alteration:

- Reduce bunching at waistline (less snug hip, so the shirt won't ride up. more fabric will stay tucked)
- Reduce bunching at upper arm and around collar bone (shoulder moving closer to natural shoulder)
- Keep cuff from falling too far down the hand (reduce cuff diameter)

shirt1.png

shirt2.png

I apologize for the washed out pics. They were really dark, so I had to increase the brightness and contrast.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Pretty good. You could possibly do with shortening the sleeves 1/4" to avoid bunching when you narrow the cuffs (if you wear a wristwatch consider whether you want some extra room on that side), but it's fine how it is. And since you'll be changing the shoulder, I'd hold that variable constant and see how the shoulder change impacts the way the sleeves fall.

I'd definitely move the shoulders out a bit, as you suggest. A full inch sounds like a lot, but I'm bad at those sorts of estimates. It actually looks like the shoulder are a bit uneven (that is, it looks like the right shoulder could moved out a bit more than the left), but that could just be the angle.

Neck size looks good, and I think that's a good collar choice for you. Sizing through the torso looks pretty good. Good luck with the waist "bunching" -- which does not look extreme to me in the picture. In my experience, unless the shirt is very tight-fitting that tends to happen more with jeans, since they sit so much lower than dress pants.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with all your adjustments, though it looks pretty good now. Can I ask what fabric, collar interlining, and fit (tight, form, etc.) you chose?

wq1999

Reaction score
It looks like the shoulders could be expanded by more than an inch. Possibly 1.5". For me, I like my shoulder seams to hit right at the top of my natural shoulder. But I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
You know, I usually read these threads to laugh, but you've done a pretty good job. You probably need to add more than 1" to the shoulder.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
add to the shoulder 1.5" on each side, and take off either some width or some length from the sleeve!

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys. I'll do a small order with my adjustments and see how it goes.

Brian278 - Fit was "tight" and measurements were taken from an existing shirt where appropriate. I also put a note in the comments field to let Ricky know I wash and dry all of my shirts, so he should allow for some shrinkage. This is the fabric:

Jantzen*2071,
White Fine Twill with Light Blue Squares,
120's, 2 Ply,
100% Italian Cotton

And it has a good feel, but not like some of my higher quality shirts from Chan or Hemrajani.

The collar interlining is Hard (I wash my own stuff, so it should hold up), and I selected edge stitching.

houserichichi

Reaction score
I have one in that fabric coming to me...thanks for reassuring me of the look. How's the hand compare to some other popular shirtings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads