• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my home made buttonhole

bloke11

Reaction score
Thought of making my own functional sleeve buttonholes, so I gave it a go.
tsMHB.jpg
Made this using polyester thread, no gimp, keyhole cut using scissors. Cheated a little by sewing the buttonhole first using machine. I don't know if this is legitimate but I find that dampening the area with water before stitching helps tremendously. So is this passable or thrashable? Fire at will, gents.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people here can't sew a single button, not to mention a button hole.
Well done!

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, Gimp will make a big difference like using oils instead of kids paint. You should aim for around 60 stitches around a small button hole.

bloke11

Reaction score
^Thanks gentlemen, I'll try and do more stitches. Oh, again I cheated by drawing the outline of the buttonhole around first before sewing. Can't walk or sew in a straight line so can't help it.
devil.gif

gj555

Reaction score
I am so bad at precision tasks with my hands that I would not even be able to attempt this.

Would I be wrong to presume that there is some "cheating" going on even for professionally made buttonholes?

Speaking of buttonholes, what is the characteristic of a good buttonhole? What should we be looking for in respect of quality?

Here is one from my latest jacket. How do I know if it is well crafted or not?

buttonh.jpg

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Inspired by Jeffreyd's blog posts, i tried making some milanese style buttonholes awhile ago. No time to practice more unfortunately! These were done with Gutermann silk twist and proper gimp:

First two

Next two (accidentally cut a thread!)

Another two, better!

Ivar

Reaction score
These all look great! Would love to do the same to my non-functional buttonholes, but I can't sew for nothing.
confused.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bloke11
Thought of making my own functional sleeve buttonholes, so I gave it a go.

tsMHB.jpg

Made this using polyester thread, no gimp, keyhole cut using scissors. Cheated a little by sewing the buttonhole first using machine. I don't know if this is legitimate but I find that dampening the area with water before stitching helps tremendously. So is this passable or thrashable?

Fire at will, gents.

bring the stitches closer together and your hired.
use a blanket stitch instead of machine to hold everything together.
try a simple bar tack at the end.
you can buy buttonhole twist at any fabric store.
use beeswax on the twist.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gshen
Inspired by Jeffreyd's blog posts, i tried making some milanese style buttonholes awhile ago. No time to practice more unfortunately! These were done with Gutermann silk twist and proper gimp:

First two

Next two (accidentally cut a thread!)

Another two, better!

your doing great.
do a small bar tack at the end. only about 5 or 6 coils at the most.

when your finished.
baste the button hole closed with about 3 stitches. and close the throat of the key hole
with 3 more. then use a pen or pencil point and your fingers to shape the keyhole.
then press the buttonhole first steam then no steam.

inlandisland

Reaction score
OP - That looks pretty good - your stitches are nice and uniform. I'm just curious - when you say you used no gimp, do you mean you didn't use real gimp, or that you used nothing at all? (I think I see a thread running behind each stitch, but it's hard to tell).

Benjamin E.

Reaction score
bloke11, it looks like you're getting the hang of it. Like a tailor said, you need to keep the stitches closer together. Gimp helps a lot. I used to make mine without and they were flat and lifeless. Since I don't have access to proper gimp, I twisted two heavy cotton threads together and it was a big improvement. It's not really cheating to sew it by machine at first; St. Andrews does this and they make beautiful buttonholes. Keep it up!

gshen, the last two look really nice. From the picture of the white buttonhole on the blog, it looks like the purls are meant to be under the gimp, not to the side. That said, I've had a lot of trouble keeping the purls under the gimp, myself. It probably comes with practice. I'll try and get some pictures of my own up.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK but do NOT give up the day job.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely better than anything I can do. Congrats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads