• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my hand made peice

Dado

Reaction score
So I was bored the other day and went to the local SPOTLIGHT and found some crappy vinyl in a nice cherry/brown colour... I was inspired by a hermes design and this was the first time working with a thread or needle or anything to do with stitching.

I have a couple of finished hides i'll be using so the vinyl was just to see how the template works in A4 proportion. Constructive critique accepted... I might be throwing a couple up on ebay as a side-venture if interest allows...

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dado
So I was bored the other day and went to the local SPOTLIGHT and found some crappy vinyl in a nice cherry/brown colour... I was inspired by a hermes design and this was the first time working with a thread or needle or anything to do with stitching.

I have a couple of finished hides i'll be using so the vinyl was just to see how the template works in A4 proportion. Constructive critique accepted... I might be throwing a couple up on ebay as a side-venture if interest allows...

I expected disaster upon opening this thread but was pleasantly surprised. I think you'll only improve with practice and it looks pretty decent. I'm not too fond of the thread color but that is an easily fixable element.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you do all the sewing by hand? The stitching is a bit wobbly in places but surprisingly even considering you say you've never sewn before; I imagine leather is going to be a bit more difficult than vinyl though.

Dado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Did you do all the sewing by hand? The stitching is a bit wobbly in places but surprisingly even considering you say you've never sewn before; I imagine leather is going to be a bit more difficult than vinyl though.
yeah hand sewn, the leather i've got is gonna favour the vintage look so hand sewn should work well with the style.

Poindexter

Reaction score
If that's your first running stitch, you have some talent, my man. I've been practicing for a few years now and that's about as good as I can do. Best.

You go, boy. Get some better material; your skill is worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads