• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my groomsmen suiting choices

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the best man for my brother's wedding and will be in charge of choosing our attire. I'd like to run this by you guys and make sure it'll work. I'd appreciate your input!

Wedding will be in April at 3:00pm (expecting 65 degrees and partly sunny). Wedding colors are red, robin egg blue, white and black. Not sure if it will be outdoors or not. Probably not.

Here's what I have for suiting:

Dark charcoal in choice of 2 or 3 button w/peak lapels (I will be helping the guys out. None of them even own a suit and they are all completely different body types). And the groom in a lighter or straight grey, peak-lapelled suit with a boutinniere (and square?). I think I will be buying myself a real suit and end up taking the groomsmen out to The Rack, Target, H&M, whatever.

White spread collar shirts w/French cuffs

Black captoes

Toned-down red ties with some light blue (groom will be giving ties as gifts. All different patterns but similar)

Pocket squares in light blue with some white. (I will provide as gifts. All different patterns but similar).

Im thinking the colors all work, but I want to make sure that this will look fine with our ideas for the ties and squares and basically telling the groomsmen "get a charcoal suit."

And should the groom wear a pocket square if he has a bouttiniere?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rented or bought? If so, who's buying?

There is no way I would spend a dime on a single breasted peak lapel suit that will look dated very soon. Go for a classic stroller jacket.

No problem with white linen pocket squares and buttoniere but no greenery in the buttonhole please.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These will be bought and it's every man for himself. I assume the guys will go more inexpensive but anything will be better than a bunch of rental clones.

Should the suits be SB and notch lapel?

The squares were going to be more dandy-ish just for fun.

Should the groom be wearing a stroller while the rest of us are in lounge suits? I was thinking just keeping him in a lighter gray. Where should the boutinniere go?

Matt S

Reaction score
1, 2, or 3-button suits in charcoal would all be good. Peak lapel and notch lapel are both fine, and I don't think of single-breasted peak lapel as going to be outdated soon. It's a classic style that has been around a long time. Make sure the suits are solid, but very subtle patterns can work too. Just stay away from stripes. I think the groom in a lighter grey suit would look fine. Don't get him a stroller if he's the only one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked out a mid gray single breasted suit for my brother to wear on his wedding day. The bride was extremely opposed to navy for some reason.

Optimally I think the groom should be wearing a double breasted peak lapel navy suit, white french cuffed spread collar shirt and a 'wedding tie' which is a glen plaid or houndstooth in white/black. Black plain toe oxford shoes.

If it were my wedding I would want each of the groomsman to dress in their own style but under the parameters of 3 piece suit in a non-business format making certain that they didn't do the matchy matchy thing with the bridesmaids.

So If financially capable I would have them pick out the fabric that they like for a 3 piece MTM and i would foot the bill. A token of appreciation for a lifetime of friendship.

I would do that for a couple reasons mainly because they would pick a fabric that shows their personality.

JordanB

Reaction score
That generally sounds fine. I don't really think it matters if the suits are notch or peak lapel. Notch is a little more versatile and can be worn for interviews, so that might be a better purchase for them.

In terms of shirts, not everyone looks good in a spread color. A short heavy person with a large round head and no neck will look like a bowling ball in a spread collar. A point collar would be a better purchase.

Don't get all fancy with a stroller for the groom. A nice suit is fine.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, Im feeling pretty good about this.

So would a mix of spread and point collars (depending on the groomsman) be fine?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check out Christina Hendrick's wedding before you make that decision.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
There is no way I would spend a dime on a single breasted peak lapel suit that will look dated very soon.

Don't be silly. Peaked lapels may soon reach oversaturation and fall out of fashion, but I doubt they will look any more 'dated' than notch lapels do at the moment, which is to say not at all. Certainly not 'very soon' anyway.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Optimally I think the groom should be wearing a double breasted peak lapel navy suit, white french cuffed spread collar shirt and a 'wedding tie' which is a glen plaid or houndstooth in white/black. Black plain toe oxford shoes. If it were my wedding I would want each of the groomsman to dress in their own style but under the parameters of 3 piece suit in a non-business format making certain that they didn't do the matchy matchy thing with the bridesmaids.
I am in the process of figuring out what I'm going to wear for my wedding (also in April, evening, but in a cooler New England climate). we aren't going to do black tie, and I don't want to look businessy either. is the bolded a traditional wedding look?

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Don't be silly. Peaked lapels may soon reach oversaturation and fall out of fashion, but I doubt they will look any more 'dated' than notch lapels do at the moment, which is to say not at all. Certainly not 'very soon' anyway.

+1

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos or some links to modern real life sartorially-correct weddings? I can't find anything online.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This isn't traditional, but I really liked how it was done. It shows personality while being well executed.

christina-hendricks-wedding-pictures-04.jpg

christina-hendricks-wedding-pictures-02.jpg

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Expecting your groomsmen to buy suits is UNHEARD of btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads