• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my fits...please

DaveZ

Reaction score
Hey guys, Long time reader of these forums, first time posting. I'm currently cleaning out my closet to make room for better fitting things and I would like to get your opinion on a few items that I'm on the fence about selling. There are 3 items: a navy suit, a charcoal blazer and a charcoal suit. Go at it! I want the truth! I'm not 100% happy with these fits so let me know what you think. First up is the navy suit. This is a 38R which I usually am but this particular suit has more structure in the shoulders than I am usually used to. It was never altered so I would have done: -Sleeves a tad long -Pants were never hemmed -Back was never cleaned up -Pants: let out the seat a bit. Looks like I have a wedgie. Do you think these 4 alterations could make this suit work:
Blue%20Pants%20front.jpg
Blue%20pants%20back.jpg
Blue%20suit%20-%20Front%20away.jpg
blue%20suit%20back.jpg
Blue%20suit%20side.jpg
Blue%20suit%20front%20open.jpg
Blue%20suit%20jacket%20back.jpg
blue%20suit%20back%202.jpg
Blue%20suit%20front%202.jpg
This picture has a reflection of the flash from a mirror that's on my left, hence the line on the left side of the pic. Second is this charcoal blazer:
Charcoal%20wool%20blazer%20back.jpg
Charcoal%20wool%20blazer%20front.jpg
Third is this charcoal suit. I was debating between the Short and the Regular when I bought and I made the wrong choice I think. Would you agree?
Black%20jacket%20front.jpg
Black%20jacket%20back.jpg
All critiques welcome!

dbc

Reaction score
Shirt too tight across the chest.

Pants need to be shortened by several inches.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I think suit #1 fits very well already, and it looks good on you. Flash photos will accentuate "ripples" that, frankly, don't need to be (and shouldn't) be tailored away (a perfectly clean back with no folds, ripples, etc. is almost impossible to achieve without making the coat too tight, in my experience). Perhaps you could shorten the sleeves a touch, as you say, but that's an alteration you'd probably have to make with anything purchased off the rack. I also think the pants look good; letting out the seat just a touch isn't a big deal, I assume.

I think the charcoal blazer fits well too. What sets it apart from being a suit coat? I can't tell the fabric from the photo.

The charcoal suit looks too short to my eye, but perhaps it works well with the pants (looks like you're still wearing the pants from suit #1 in this pic).

Are you thinking of selling these for a huge loss? Honestly, if you like the fabrics, the fit is fine.

DaveZ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Shirt too tight across the chest. Pants need to be shortened by several inches.
I agree. I gained some weight recently so a few of my shirts don't fit so well anymore. I have 9 that I think fit properly and they are all at the cleaners right now. Pants would definitely be shortened if I decide to keep the suit. These are unhemmed, I just rolled them in a bit.
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Looks like there are issues with the shoulders / upper arms.
I see that too but I wasn't sure if it was because I'm not used to such a structured shoulder or if it just doesn't fit. In your opinion, could that be fixed just by playing with the back? (I know there isn't much that can be done to shoulders)
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
I think suit #1 fits very well already, and it looks good on you. Flash photos will accentuate "ripples" that, frankly, don't need to be (and shouldn't) be tailored away (a perfectly clean back with no folds, ripples, etc. is almost impossible to achieve without making the coat too tight, in my experience). Perhaps you could shorten the sleeves a touch, as you say, but that's an alteration you'd probably have to make with anything purchased off the rack. I also think the pants look good; letting out the seat just a touch isn't a big deal, I assume. I think the charcoal blazer fits well too. What sets it apart from being a suit coat? I can't tell the fabric from the photo. The charcoal suit looks too short to my eye, but perhaps it works well with the pants (looks like you're still wearing the pants from suit #1 in this pic). Are you thinking of selling these for a huge loss? Honestly, if you like the fabrics, the fit is fine.
You guessed it, that blazer/SC (I don't know the diff.) is a heavier wool fabric. A lot thicker then a normal suit. Almost tweed like. Also, I am wearing the same pants as the first suit. The pants on that suit fit perfect, I just have an issue with the jacket that might be too short. As for selling at a loss: I don't think that it would be the case. I got pretty good deals on all those items. I could maybe get more than I paid for the first and second and probably lose a bit on that last one as it's a lower quality suit. Thanks for the comments so far guys!

saiyar1

Reaction score
The navy is pretty much done as far as alterations. Clean up the back if you want, but it's not messy and will be more restrictive if you clean up. Ready to wear. The others just need the pants and the seat, typical stuff.

I don't see a "problem" with the shoulders.

Looks good.

DrMoBueno

Reaction score
Isn't this what the WAYWT discussion thread is for?

One posts a fit and people discuss.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It appears your right shoulder drops rather farther below the left. It's much more apparent when viewed from the back, and causes the jacket to look "off" to me. Besides that, which you might not even be able to tailor around, the first suit looks fine.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket #1 is fine. But in the side view the vent is gaping.
Jacket #3 is bit short to you (but still acceptable IMO) as you have mentioned already.

zerostyle

Reaction score
First suit looks great to me.

Second suit is on the shorter side, but modern suits tend to run shorter so you're probably ok.

I also am somewhere between a regular and a short - regulars make it look like I'm swimming in my dad's suit, and shorts tend to be just a bit too short.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrMoBueno
Isn't this what the WAYWT discussion thread is for?

One posts a fit and people discuss.

No. WAYWT is for people who want praise for their picture. OP wants a critique.

OP-

These are all close enough to good that you should hang on to them, especially if you plan to lose weight. 5-8 pounds off will affect the fit positively.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
the shoulders in the first suit look a bit wide to me, but these guys know more than me so...

DaveZ

Reaction score
Any other opinions?

There seems to be some conflicting views with the responses so far.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads