• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my fit please

alvinkim14

Reaction score
Took a gamble and bought a paul smith suit online. Tried it on and was quite pleased with the fit. Thinking I might not even need to get it tailored. Give me your thoughts thanks!
1t1mb6.jpg

Will C.

Reaction score
I assume you're wearing jeans in that photo, not suit trousers, right?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fits you well, but do wear a shirt next time. I'd shorten it a little, but it's debatable.

alvinkim14

Reaction score
lol yes...those are jeans
thanks acecow, will take a new pic with shirt/tie/pants soon
(waiting for alterations on the pants and shirt)
i didnt know it was possible to shorten the length of a jacket but now that you mention it i agree with you
i have short legs to begin with - so the jacket length could be more flattering
thanks for the input!

heaven7

Reaction score
I wouldn't shorten it. It seems just long enough and with the open quarters I don't think it's going to make you look short. I also happen to think shorter jackets end up looking a tad feminine.
The jacket seems to fit you great, the only alteration I'd cnosider is taking up the sleeves about half an inch but we'd have to see you with a shirt underneath to call that out properly.

mewsic

Reaction score
The jacket fits you really well. I wouldn't shorten the length of it though. Personally, I'd prefer longer length for suit jackets but shorter length for sport coats/ blazers.

shanker

Reaction score
If you want perfection, I would shorten the overall length (priority 1) and the sleeves (debatable). Im talking 1/2" or less on the length and maybe a quarter on the sleeves. Sleeve length depends on how low the pits are. Impossible to tell for sure given the shirt you are wearing.

Overall the fit is better than most. If you left it as is, it would be perfectly acceptable.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy does this ever bring back memories when I could wear any jacket right off the rack without alterations.
Congratulations on a perfect fit. Do anything you can to stay slim and enjoy the jacket.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To quote your own title you do not need to be altered to fit the coat. For the jeans shortening your legs would be an advantage.

Frank Davis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
He means the legs of your jeans. I strongly advise against shortening your actual legs.

No I think he actually meant shortening his legs in relation to the title, but in a sarcastic sense or maybe not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads