• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my first Jantzen

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand you can tell anything from these photos. It looks like the OP didn't tuck in his shirt properly and his pants are way too low.

Anders

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
+1. I did the same thing, except I used a Polo Black label shirt that fit near perfectly already and just tweaked the details. This is much more reliable for first time buyers than measuring one's own body.

Also, if you are actually slim and aren't afraid of higher armholes, go with the tight fit. It will get the arms closer to what you're looking for.

Thanks for the replies. I personally think this first shirt is a fine base to work off of, but I'm looking for more opinions. I'd rather not create a completely new order and start over again. That is probably good advice for people who haven't ordered yet though. I do plan on asking for tight fit next time since the arms/body are too full.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't understand you can tell anything from these photos. It looks like the OP didn't tuck in his shirt properly and his pants are way too low.

Yes, the shirt didn't tuck in fully because it was too short to tuck in properly. Its obviously that I need to bring in the body and lengthen the shirt. Is there a certain amount I should bring it in or should I just change the fit to Form and see next time?

crazy808

Reaction score
Attachment 10879

All my jantzen shirts are wrinkle at the crease of my arm as seen in this picture.

I usually choose "form" fit, and biceps areas is perfect. Nevertheless, flexing my arm in any manner produces the wrinkles within seconds of putting on the shirt.

Does anyone else have this problem?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazy808
Attachment 10879 All my jantzen shirts are wrinkle at the crease of my arm as seen in this picture. I usually choose "form" fit, and biceps areas is perfect. Nevertheless, flexing my arm in any manner produces the wrinkles within seconds of putting on the shirt. Does anyone else have this problem?
Your forearms are too tight. Increase the cuff measurement and put a note in saying you need more room through the elbow/forearm area. This worked for me. My first shirt had this problem and all subsequent orders have been fixed. I also specify the bicep measurement in the comments -- used a Borrelli shirt as reference.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
+1. I did the same thing, except I used a Polo Black label shirt that fit near perfectly already and just tweaked the details. This is much more reliable for first time buyers than measuring one's own body.

Yes this is the way to go, but I still got a botched shirt from mytailor the first time out. Be prepared for paying for unwearable shirts no matter what if you are just punching numbers into a web form.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Yes this is the way to go, but I still got a botched shirt from mytailor the first time out. Be prepared for paying for unwearable shirts no matter what if you are just punching numbers into a web form.

I used the same measurements for Jantzen and Mytailor. Jantzen took my height into account and made the waist hit right at my waist -- looks good. Mytailor disregarded my height and made my waist hit a good 3 inches above -- looks ridiculous as I specify a small waist on my shirts so they don't look like bags.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I suppose there is always risk, but if you're punching in the measurements of a shirt you want copied, it substantially lowers the deviation you're going to get from a well-fitting shirt versus taking body measurements which is more complicated and opens up the actual shirt measurements to the tailor's interpretation I was pretty happy with what I got on the first try, and I wear that shirt regularly. A couple of tweaks later, and I had a pretty much perfect-fitting shirt, with higher armholes that I'd typically have to search and pay a lot for in what's available RTW. Now I'm just picking a new fabric and tweaking the details once a month for $50, quality made shirts until my closet is full.
smile.gif

Anders

Reaction score
Haven't been able to get much help with actual measurement changes. Anyone? Otherwise I guess I will have to go by my judgement and I'm not sure if its that great.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Why don't you just try the method arnach suggestd, then compare the measurements?

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ Why don't you just try the method arnach suggestd, then compare the measurements?
That is a great method, I might have to try it myself.

Anyone know what these different shoulder designations are? I expected I either slope or am normal, but I am not sure which.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads