• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my first bespoke suit, what do you think?

madjbs

Reaction score
Hi

I recently got my first bespoke suit and in general I am happy with it. The suit is made from a lightweight 90%-10% wool/polyester mix. I chose the fabric as it was in the colour and texture I was looking for and the quality did not seem to be much different from the 100% wool fabrics my tailor had. The shirt is also a cotton/polyester mix, about 80% cotton if I remember correctly.

Actually I think the suit looks better in real life, the photos show it to be a little more ruffled up than it really is, probably due to my uneasy stance while taking the photos, so please take that into account when critiquing.

I am happy that the suit came out in the exact style I was looking for, the lapels, cut, and fit are exactly as I wanted. Also, the shirt I think fits me perfectly. The only thing I am not so happy with is that the armholes are a bit too low and it makes the jacket quite restrictive. Also, the fabric could lay a little flatter around the front of the jacket but that could be in part due to the cheaper fabric and the fused construction of the suit, it is not actually very noticeable. Lastly, I think the pants would be a little narrower.

So, what does the forum think? I am looking to get more suits from this tailor and would like to get my pattern dialed in. Do you think it would be worth it?

Thanks

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Kslim

Reaction score
Adjust the pant length a bit.

604Coast

Reaction score
Jacket length is way too short, IMO. I would say...atleast 2 inches too short.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wool/polyester bespoke suit that fits like that?
ffffuuuu.gif

Sorry man, if you want an opinion... it looks pretty bad. Pants are way too long and the jacket is way too short (which is impossible to fix). Why would you choose a polyester mix when going bespoke?

951socal

Reaction score
Wow looks good, im jealous, why is the center vent so short though?

also is there a reason you didn't get it side vented?

fit on the front looks good to me, i like the color too

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Why would you choose a polyester mix when going bespoke?
I was thinking the same thing.

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
I was thinking the same thing.

Because it was the colour and texture I wanted. 10% polyester is hardly the end of the world despite what some people think.

I probably should have taken better photos but I did say it looks less ruffled in real life.

I agree the pants could be a little shorter but the jacket is the correct length. Short jackets are in style although I have noticed many people on this forum go for the longer look.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke means that you don't make concessions like that. Sorry I don't mean to be a jerk. I think you have a lot to learn though.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how can it be "bespoke" and fused? did you ask for that? did you ask for low armholes?

where did you get this from? any good place should make this again for you if the armholes are really so low that they restrict movement.

if you actually like your jacket that short, that's fine, but as of right now your jacket is on some thom browne level of shortness. if that's the look your going for, then i would suggest you do something else with the pants then what you've got going on now (higher rise, more taper).

madjbs

Reaction score
I chose the fabric as it was in the colour and texture I was looking for and the quality did not seem to be much different from the 100% wool fabrics my tailor had.
That is a good enough reason I think.

Canary Wharf

Reaction score
I'm very sorry to say I just don't think it fits you very well for a bespoke suit.

Too tight in some places, too saggy in others.

Hey, if you love it and feel good in it - what anyone on the Internet thinks about it shouldn't be important.

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
how can it be "bespoke" and fused? did you ask for that? did you ask for low armholes?

I failed to mention about the armholes at the time, which I am kicking myself for now. It is fused because even the best Tailors around here do not do fully canvased suits.

where did you get this from? any good place should make this again for you if the armholes are really so low that they restrict movement.
I live in Asia and the suit is from the most reputable tailor in the country that I live in. The price of the suit was about $500 so I was never expecting SR or even Hong Kong quality. Perhaps I should have made that clear in the first post. I very much doubt they would make it again.

if you actually like your jacket that short, that's fine, but as of right now your jacket is on some thom browne level of shortness. if that's the look your going for, then i would suggest you do something else with the pants then what you've got going on now (higher rise, more taper).
I absolutely agree with you here, the jacket is as I requested, but the pants need to be adjusted as you say for them too work well together. That should be quite an easy adjustment I think.

madjbs

Reaction score
Oh and it fits me a lot better than anything off the rail, I am tall and skinny and find that almost everything has too short sleeves and too wide a body and shoulders.

mewsic

Reaction score
Descriptions and pictures don't seem to fit with the word 'bespoke'. Sounds more like a MTM to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics