• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my first bespoke suit, what do you think?

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madjbs
Yep you are right, but it is a real pain when you have to keep using the self timer and with no tripod to hand!

Don't have a ladyfriend to handle things?

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
Don't have a ladyfriend to handle things?

She just got home and told me off for posting bad photos on the internet!
biggrin.gif

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
And what is your city?

The price is the price, nobody was "robbed". Luxury cars are also about 3 times the USA price here, it's not just clothing which is expensive.

It is not only luxury cars which cost here in Bangkok, but also high-end clothing and accessories such as Coach, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, or Burberry. The same goes to purchasing a home or condominium. I have seen a condominuim which cost USD3,000 a month to rent here in Bangkok.

Just because Thailand is known to be the third world country, it is not entirely correct to assume that everything here is cheaper than the rest of the world. The basic neccessities may be purchased at lower price, but they are a lot of other things which you have to pay more here than other places in the planet.

Gent

Reaction score
There are only 3 or 4 real Tailors in Bangkok.

Apparently the guy who did your suit just isn't one of them.

Seriously, I've seen some Made In Thailand bespoke things that cost about 100$, which looked better than your stuff. You can put quotation marks around the "bespoke" for all I care, it's the end result that counts, and that suit just isn't up to snuff.

Thing is: no one here appears to know a thing. You, on the other hand, have answers to everything. But you aren't defensive, not by any means!

Thailand prices: people just don't know.

What to expect from bespoke tailors: people just haven't lived in Asia...

Your style: people just don't "get it".

Photography: no one understands how much better you appear when looking at yourself in the mirror, because no one understands photography.

If I'm real honest, it seems to me you've been had. Someone, probably the tailor, has convinced you that he's a True Master Tailor Artisan, and you believe him. Well, whatever floats your boat. Doesn't make the suit look any better.

Naturally, the other half of me is almost prepared to call this extremely clever trolling.

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
Apparently the guy who did your suit just isn't one of them.

Seriously, I've seen some Made In Thailand bespoke things that cost about 100$, which looked better than your stuff. You can put quotation marks around the "bespoke" for all I care, it's the end result that counts, and that suit just isn't up to snuff.

Thing is: no one here appears to know a thing. You, on the other hand, have answers to everything. But you aren't defensive, not by any means!

Thailand prices: people just don't know.

What to expect from bespoke tailors: people just haven't lived in Asia...

Your style: people just don't "get it".

Photography: no one understands how much better you appear when looking at yourself in the mirror, because no one understands photography.

If I'm real honest, it seems to me you've been had. Someone, probably the tailor, has convinced you that he's a True Master Tailor Artisan, and you believe him. Well, whatever floats your boat. Doesn't make the suit look any better.

Naturally, the other half of me is almost prepared to call this extremely clever trolling.

Stick to your narrow little world in future please. Go and find some other thread and poster to try and bully, it isn't working here. Anyone who knows the tailoring scene here knows I am right in the prices and what I say about the Tailors (you clearly don't, have you ever left the good old USA?)

You don't like people disagreeing with your opinion and you become rude and aggressive as a result, that quality in people is quite pathetic and rather unpleasant. I on the other hand respond to comments I disagree with politely and with reason, a quality I would rather have over a good suit any day. Goodbye

Zackb911

Reaction score
I know people are being snarky with their comments, but they're really just trying to be honest with you. I really hope you find a different tailor in the future and also take to heart some of the valid critiques. Most of us are really just trying to help, that's all.

We're being objective and honest. No need to be defensive.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Wow, that thread sure grew fast! Typical Internet slapfest.

OP, it’s a shame you’re getting such hate on a suit you mostly like a lot. But your initial post (sorry: poast—or is that the verb form?) contained the seeds of trouble. Yes, people should be able to separate design from execution during critique. But you said you liked both the design and the execution, except for a few specified details. You also declared some of the wrinkling to be due to your stance, not the suit itself. That really doesn’t leave a lot of room for feedback, does it? And then you threw the gates open and asked people what they thought, and if the pattern was worth refining. With that setup, you were bound to get your toes stepped on a fair bit.

[EDIT: I was going to recommend less waist suppression to eliminate the jacket flaring that the bottom, but others say the jacket already looks too boxy and needs to be more fitted. I'm not sure what's best.]

madjbs

Reaction score
The suit comes from a Tailor on that list.

It's funny how now probably some of the very same people people are coming up with comments like "you were robbed"etc...
laugh.gif

madjbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
Wow, that thread sure grew fast! Typical Internet slapfest.

[EDIT: I was going to recommend less waist suppression to eliminate the jacket flaring that the bottom, but others say the jacket already looks too boxy and needs to be more fitted. I'm not sure what's best.]

Thats the problem, you can't really take much of the advice seriously when someone else says the exact opposite only a few posts down.

As with most Internet forums the problem is that it is almost impossible unless you stick around for a substantial amount of time to tell the 90% complete rubbish from the 10% of advice and information which is really worth listening too.

Put that on top of the few posters who enjoy flaming and posting rude and aggressive comments then I am really left wondering what the point of posting is at all.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can this thread die already.

Its just 100 forum members telling you the same thing and you responding negatively.

I think we all got what we can out of this one

madjbs

Reaction score
Who are you to decide that exactly?

I disagree with some of your comments, it is not being negative, it is not being over defensive, I simply disagree. So get over it.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The suit comes from a Tailor on that list.

It's funny how now probably some of the very same people people are coming up with comments like "you were robbed"etc...
laugh.gif

I boldfaced WW Chan for a reason. I don't have experience with any other tailors on that list.

Please don't respond. This thread needs to die. And your suit still sucks.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who are you to decide that exactly?

I disagree with some of your comments, it is not being negative, it is not being over defensive, I simply disagree. So get over it.

Its 8 pages of you disagreeing with 90% of the critiques you asked for. WHY ARE YOU HERE

madjbs

Reaction score
Because 90% of it was concerning the same thing which I already explained on the first half of the first page, TOO YOU and you still don't get it. Go and find another thread to play in if you don't like this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads