• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique My Fat Loss Workout Plan

tom288

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering if any of you wanna give me some advice on my plan.

I was thinking of doing the following split:

Mon: Chest/Tris
Tues: Back/Bis
Wed: Legs/Shoulders/Forearms
Thurs: off
Fri-Sun Repeat above

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I am sure you will get a varied response since many SF'ers seems to be their own certified fitness instructors
tounge.gif

I'll chime in only because I was in a similar boat as you about a year ago. I am 6', 22 years old and was 180 lbs, now down to 165 lbs. body fat at 11%. Still not 'perfect' by any means but what got me, for the most part back into shape (I have always been athletic and lifted weights frequently when I was 19-20) was the cardio (running) part of my regime. I basically ran (and still do) about 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. I try to squeeze in lifting 2-3 days a week.

Generally, if you are going to mix them, they say that a mild cardio workout is best suited prior to lifting as you will start burning calories at a good pace with the cardio and prolong it with the weights. I am sure someone will refute this with scientific evidence from blah, blah, but it worked great for me.

But yeah, protein shakes, lots of healthy eating (veggies, chicken, fish), very few simple carbs (potatoes, white bread, etc.) and lots of water. But you already knew that.

kai-wun

Reaction score
Try to keep 8hrs between cardio and weight/resistance training. I'm lazy and/or don't have enough time so I do compound exercises (pullup, squats, deadlifts, bench... done).

Eat clean, healthy. Many times during the day. 5-6x to maintain a hardworking metabolism. Small meals. Lifting heavy is fine. More muscle mass means easier to burn fat. Good luck and keep us posted.

adversity04

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that it's best to do cardio after doing weights for some reason, but then again I do it directly before and have for x amount of years. Do whichever you prefer, honestly, because it's whatever is going to get you to workout and enjoy it.

tom288

Reaction score
Ya Ill always heard you should do it right after your workout, cause you'll need most of your energy for your actual workout. Thats why I was wondering if I workout in the morning if I should just do it right after, or push my workout to the afternoon so I can do cardio in a fasted state right when I wake up.

Coulomb

Reaction score
i would say it's overkill. you don't need to lift 6 days a week...

but it all depends how hard you go. if you are going hard on all 6 days, i would reckon you are just making yourself more prone to injury.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom288
Ya Ill always heard you should do it right after your workout, cause you'll need most of your energy for your actual workout. Thats why I was wondering if I workout in the morning if I should just do it right after, or push my workout to the afternoon so I can do cardio in a fasted state right when I wake up.

No

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For cardio you may do better by using a High Intensity Interval Training routine. 3 or 4x a week should do it.

Lifting - looks like overkill. Try to get the whole body in two sessions and then do three sessions a week.

Most important is the diet of course, which you did not go into any detail about. Doing the above even on a CLEAN, HEALTHY diet at 3000 calories will not lose you too much fat.

I would do 6 or 7 meals a day at 2000-2400 calories for you. Keep the carbs below 35% of total intake. No carbs after 7pm, unless after a lifting workout.

Give all that a try and you should be looking good in a few months.

P.S. Do cardio and lifting on separate days. They require different diets around the workout.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just try to watch you eat a lot more.

At only 20 years old, you should not be putting on weight even if you are not so active.

If you enjoy weight lifting, cardio, and spending a lot of time in the gym then fine, but I don`t see why everyone has to waste such a large percentage of their life in the gym.

Like I said, unless you enjoy it and it is your hobby your something.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I don`t see why everyone has to waste such a large percentage of their life in the gym.

Usually because they spend an even larger percentage utterly sedentary.

tom288

Reaction score
I had shoulder surgery, 2 in 2 years. This coincided with my first 2 years of college, hence the diet was not amazing. So I packed on some weight. My diet is under control, Ill have 6 meals a day with around 2000 calories. 40% or more protein, then 40/20 for carbs, no simple carbs, and fats.

tom288

Reaction score
I think Ill just lift Mon/Wed/Fri, then do HIIT Cardio Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. You might even be better off throwing in a day off here and there.

gvibes

Reaction score
For a beginner, I see no reason to specifically target little muscles like biceps/triceps/forearms. Pull-ups/dips/deadlifts should hit those muscle groups sufficiently.

I would focus on 5-6 different lifts to start. Deadlifts, squats and bench are the big ones. I also suggest overhead presses, pull-ups and dips. I suggest a 2-day split of DL/OPs/PUPs and Squat/bench/dips.

People will quibble with things, but don't neglect the big, compound lifts in favor of dinky little isolation exercises.

Also, make sure you're getting enough protein.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Weight loss is about 80% diet, 20% exercise (or some say 90/10). I've been going to the gym consistently for 5 years doing a mix of weights & cardio and never lost more than 5-10 lbs in a stretch.

My doctor said it best: "Stop eating."

Don't waste your time wondering what you should do at the gym. A moderate level of any exercise is good, but you won't see results until you cut calories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads