• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my Chan *shirt*

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be confused with the Chan suit thread I started on the Temporary StyleForum earlier this week!

I have one shirt that I received from Chan last October and I need some help deciding what changes I should request for the shirts I intend to order when I meet with Patrick Chu next Friday. Prior to receiving this shirt, I bought RTW shirts in approximately the correct size, since no one I know makes RTW shirts with a 15" neck and 36" sleeve. So, even though I see some things about the Chan shirt that I dislike, I'm embarassed to admit that I really don't know how a well-fitting shirt should look. Here are the pictures (I was in a rush, so I didn't have the shirt pressed and I also forgot a t-shirt
redface.gif
):

rajesh06

Reaction score
Shirt looks good to me.
I used to wear undershirts - now I wouldn't dream of it. Unless you are a heavy perspirer - why would you want to replace the feeling of high thread count cotton next to your skin with that of an undershirt?

Also - shirts will last longer if worn without an undershirt - the rubbing of the two layers will wear out your shirt.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Much better than OTR. As a fellow thin guy, I appreciate the difficulty in finding clothes that are cut appropriately.

If I were you, I'd have more taken in at the waist. On the next shirt, I'd have the sleeves lengthened, particularly if this one hasn't been washed. Hard to tell, but it looks like the arm holes might be a bit low as well. Like the spread collar. You might even consider having the next collar made a bit taller. I have a skinny neck and have found that a deeper collar can make a big difference.

ATM

Reaction score
I agree with adding to the sleeve length.

Aureus

Reaction score
Looks good, though I'd think you need another inch or more in the sleeves.

Pink22m

Reaction score
[QUOTEAlso - shirts will last longer if worn without an undershirt - the rubbing of the two layers will wear out your shirt.][/quote]

I seriously doubt that. If anything, it would seem that shirts would last longer when worn with an undershirt, since they prevent your shirt from absorbing alot of the body odor from your body. Also, undershirts protect your shirt from potentially damaging deodorant. There isn't anything coarse about a soft white cotton undershirt, and I would wager that any negative effects from *rubbing* of the two shirts, are negligible.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I seriously doubt that. If anything, it would seem that shirts would last longer when worn with an undershirt, since they prevent your shirt from absorbing alot of the body odor from your body. Also, undershirts protect your shirt from potentially damaging deodorant. There isn't anything coarse about a soft white cotton undershirt, and I would wager that the *harmful* effects that might occur from the two shirts rubbing against each other are negligible.

Well this is my experience and it is also what was recomended to me by the shirtmaker I am using in Philly (Barton and Donaldson)

Pink22m

Reaction score
I wonder what Mr. Kabbaz would say about this. I have never had any problems wearing undershirts under my dress shirts. I would much rather have my $10 Target Merona tees absorbing my sweat then my $400 Borrelli.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! You guys are echoing my thoughts pretty closely. I don't like all the fabric pooling around my waist, though it's much better than OTR. I'd also been considering a higher collar, but don't want it so high it looks weird.

DocHolliday, I specified a very slim fit, but I'll ask Patrick if tapering the next shirts even more might get rid of the "fabric pool" at my waist. I'm tired of swimming in my shirts. The shirt had been washed about 3 times when the pictures were taken, but I don't show enough cuff when I wear the shirt with my Chan suit. On my Chan suit thread, jklu (who goes by whoopee here, I think) suggested longer shirt sleeves and I objected that the suit sleeves were simply too long. I guess I now have confirming opinions that it's the shirt and not the suit!! I'll definitely ask for longer sleeves and ask Patrick about higher armholes and a higher collar (how much higher would you suggest, about 1/4"?).

What are your thoughts about the puckering from shoulders to the first/second buttons? I usually get this on OTR shirts, especially from my lower, left shoulder (yes, I'm left-handed). Can anything be done about this?
Is the tie space OK? How about the fit of the collar (given that it's seen minimal laundering)?

OT: Now that I look at the pictures, it seems I forgot collar stays, too.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to perspire a fair amount and would prefer to have a t-shirt soaking it up rather than my dress shirt. Also, I would think skin (and hair, yuck) rubbing on cotton would cause more wear than cotton on cotton. This particular _white_ shirt is also thin enough that it's unsightly to go without a t-shirt underneath.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should go at least 1/2" higher on the collar. Tie space and degree of spread depends on you; it's fine as it is. The horizontal pulling at the chest/shoulders, I believe, comes from tightness and incorrectly sloped shoulders (on the shirt).

Along with the other comments, the sleeves could be slimmer. Have you thought about make the double cuffs a bit longer?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
how much is a Chan shirt vs Jantzen?

honestly, I'm not too excited by how it looks. Reasons already mentioned. Did you give them inaccurate measurements? I guess the next time around your shirt will more'n likely fit better with adjustments made from this one. Good luck with the next Chan meeting.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with docholliday, - take something off the waist (maybe 2 inches overall? hard to say), add an inch to the sleeve, and make the collar taller (although the collar adjustment is optional).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
DocHolliday, I specified a very slim fit, but I'll ask Patrick if tapering the next shirts even more might get rid of the "fabric pool" at my waist. I'm tired of swimming in my shirts. The shirt had been washed about 3 times when the pictures were taken, but I don't show enough cuff when I wear the shirt with my Chan suit. On my Chan suit thread, jklu (who goes by whoopee here, I think) suggested longer shirt sleeves and I objected that the suit sleeves were simply too long. I guess I now have confirming opinions that it's the shirt and not the suit!! I'll definitely ask for longer sleeves and ask Patrick about higher armholes and a higher collar (how much higher would you suggest, about 1/4"?).

What are your thoughts about the puckering from shoulders to the first/second buttons? I usually get this on OTR shirts, especially from my lower, left shoulder (yes, I'm left-handed). Can anything be done about this?
Is the tie space OK? How about the fit of the collar (given that it's seen minimal laundering)?

Let me ask you this: Does the shirt seem tight around your lower chest? It looks like it's pulling near the clavicles, but I'm having a hard time making out what's going on farther down.

As mentioned already, tie space is personal preference. But I like a little bit extra, just to add wideness to the collar.

In terms of collar height, I think you can easily add a good bit. But it's hard to say just how much after looking at the pics. Are you standing naturally, or do you have your head tipped up like many people do when photographed?

BjornH

Reaction score
My guess is that you have your shoulders pitched backwards. This makes the shirt loose in the back (vertical ripples), and a bit tight in the front (horisontal ripples). Ask them to adjust for that, if this is your natural posture.

I have the opposite problem. My shoulders point a bit forward so my shirts are always a bit sloppy over the chest. Perhaps Jantzen can adjust the yoke and whatever is needed for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads