• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

critique my blazer fit

Leverandon

Reaction score
I just got this Brooks Brothers blazer (its a 38S, 3 roll to 2 button) off of ebay. I think its a pretty good fit, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I'm worried that the sleeves are a bit short and that it might be pulling a bit in the middle.

2628_720979349453_1200059_44234963_8371423_n.jpg

What should I have the tailor do with it?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks a touch tight at the waist and short in the sleeves.
Easily rectified by a competent tailor.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A back photo would be of interest, I suspect that, if single vented, that the vent is opening. Again, probably will be addressed if the back is opened a bit to adjust the fit around the middle.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks pretty good - just a bit tight in the waist and the sleeves need to be taken out about .5-1"

Leverandon

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm still new around here and trying to get an eye for what looks right. Its single vented and I think the back is alright. I would take a rear photo, but I actually just changed to go for a run.

Now to find a competent tailor...I live in NYC and I think there was a thread awhile back that I saw on that...I'll search there.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several. Depends in part on where in NYC.

As a fellow runner, I admire anybody who can get out this late in the p.m. If I am not out by 9:00 a.m., it is not happening.

Leverandon

Reaction score
Thanks!

I live on the UES (specifically Carnegie Hill) so ideally I'd like to find a tailor in the east 80s or 90s. I don't trust the guy at the corner laundry for anything more than pant cuffs.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the fact that it is a suit coat and not a blazer(notice the buttons) it is also tight in the torsoe, I would suggest having it let out at least an inch. You can see where it starts to pull when the jackets buttoned.

Leverandon

Reaction score
How would do the buttons indicate that it is a suit coat? (I'm still new to some of these distinctions). Thanks for the help, guys!

SwedishFish

Reaction score
A blazer would have brass buttons. Brown horn buttons are also common on navy blazers but tend to apply to European (specifically Italian) producers.

Leverandon

Reaction score
I knew that navy blazers tended to have brass buttons but I didn't know that the lack of them indicated that it was a suit jacket. For some reason, I strongly dislike navy blazers with brass buttons, though I realize that it is a classic look.

Is it considered a major error to wear a suit jacket as a blazer?

contaygious

Reaction score
Just find some metal buttons you like. I have antique looking silver with blue porcelain on mine because I don't like bronze. I wouldn't wear a suit coat as a blazer though.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Add some horn buttons and let the sleeves out. The waist may be a hair tight, but I like a suppressed waist. You need a just a little work to make the body fit right. I usually don't see the full button hole rolled over as shows in your pic.

Leverandon

Reaction score
I like the idea of adding dark horn buttons. Are there any SF-approved retailers (online or in NYC) that sell horn buttons? What sizes would I need to buy since I would be replacing both the front and cuff buttons?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads