• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique DB fit

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this RL DB suit at one of my usual thrifting jaunts for all of $34. Debating whether or not to keep it for myself, so I thought I'd see what SF thinks before deciding. The pants, not shown, fit sufficiently well as is. I've also included an image of the label, as I'm not sure what "line" this is. Obviously the label is blue, but being new to nice(r) clothing, I'm not sure if this is considered the blue line or not, or what that means in any event. Thanks!
1000000199.JPG
1000000201.JPG

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the blue line. The fit looks OK, but I think there's something going with the shoulders. What chest and waist are you? Put a shirt on, prop the camera on something taller and take photos from the front and back. You're about to hear a lot about the width of the lapels, I think.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Looks very 90s, as in it fits you very "easy." Some would say "too big." I say nip the waist through the blades of the jacket and you'll have a pretty nice suit on your hands, assuming the pants fit well.

Originally Posted by alliswell
It's the blue line. The fit looks OK, but I think there's something going with the shoulders. What chest and waist are you? Put a shirt on, prop the camera on something taller and take photos from the front and back. You're about to hear a lot about the width of the lapels, I think.

This would be the height of hypocrisy.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a 42R, which, depending on the measurements is right on for me. I am 6' 175 with a 32" waist. At a minimum, I'd need to take the sides in. Just wondering if it is worth doing given the fit of the shoulders.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You need some work on there acrid. Shoulders, waist, sleeve lengthening... I assume the pants are too short on you and the hips too full.. you are looking at probably $200 or so in alterations, where you can put that dough towards a newer better suit. You are too sleek for this blobbiness.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You need some work on there acrid. Shoulders, waist, sleeve lengthening... I assume the pants are too short on you and the hips too full.. you are looking at probably $200 or so in alterations, where you can put that dough towards a newer better suit. You are too sleek for this blobbiness.
Thanks Spoo. The pants are just right (length wise), but they are double pleated, though not to an MC-hammer like level. Anyway, here are a couple more pics if that changes anything. Last Q: What do you think I could get for it on B/S?
1000000205.JPG
1000000206.JPG

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on price i would say it depends on the condition and whether it is made in italy or usa. i'm guessing from the look that it is a made in usa. if you search on here for "usa-made polo" you will find a thread telling you how to tell the year in which it was made.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
It is a 42R, which, depending on the measurements is right on for me. I am 6' 175 with a 32" waist. At a minimum, I'd need to take the sides in. Just wondering if it is worth doing given the fit of the shoulders.

6', 175 lbs., and a 32" waist - remind me to hate you.
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I must confess to having had no less than three of this vintage of PRL suits in this style, and, after having lost a significant amount of weight, I had them taken in, which looked fine, except with those shoulders, I resembled a fullback (and you haven't the bulk to need that look). As someone else also noted, those lapels are wider than are currently worn as well. Nice try, but throw that fish back into the used clothing sea.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker

I bow to your judgment (as it agrees with mine).
worship.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
I bow to your judgment (as it agrees with mine).
worship.gif

Coffees on me next time I am in the UES.

Originally Posted by acridsheep
I had nothing to do with the height, but the rest is courtesy of a semi-obsessive commitment to P90X.

Whassat?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some notes:

It looks like a 90s USA made Polo, which has a decent quality of make but not as good as the periods immediately before and after.

The lapel is the 30s style SR-inspired lapel that Ralph does over and over, from the 70s up till today. It looks wide to some because the narrow lapel stuff is only gradually being supplanted by the swaggering Tom Ford thing. The Polo DB lapels will look good regardless, as they always have.

it's hard to tell how the suit fits you without full body pix. A fitted DB can make you look slim. The pleated pants are not in fashion, so deal with it or get another suit. The shoulder was a bit wider in the 90s so you will have to deal with that as well.

If you choose to sell it on ebay, a USA made Polo suit in good condition will get $100---$200 at most, and often much less. B&S prices are at the lower end of the spectrum.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Some notes:

It looks like a 90s USA made Polo, which has a decent quality of make but not as good as the periods immediately before and after.

The lapel is the 30s style SR-inspired lapel that Ralph does over and over, from the 70s up till today. It looks wide to some because the narrow lapel stuff is only gradually being supplanted by the swaggering Tom Ford thing. The Polo DB lapels will look good regardless, as they always have.

it's hard to tell how the suit fits you without full body pix. A fitted DB can make you look slim. The pleated pants are not in fashion, so deal with it or get another suit. The shoulder was a bit wider in the 90s so you will have to deal with that as well.

If you choose to sell it on ebay, a USA made Polo suit in good condition will get $100---$200 at most, and often much less. B&S prices are at the lower end of the spectrum.

Very helpful, thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads