Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Criticize Gate's suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by metkirk, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

It's unclear to me whether Mr. Gates barber makes his suits. Perhaps it the other way around and Mr. Gates tailor cuts his hair?

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Seriously, it's been reported that he gets some of his clothes from Seattle designer/tailor Gian DeCaro.
    Based on the magazine articles on DeCaro's website, this would seem to be the case.

Again, the suit is nice, but the gray button-down and the burgundy tie seem like a jarring (but still dull) contrast. It's the "waste of a nice suit" syndrome, common among businessmen.

And the way he's standing in that first picture, it looks like his torso is longer than his legs.

It isn't, is it?

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Based on the magazine articles on DeCaro's website, this would seem to be the case.

Again, the suit is nice, but the gray button-down and the burgundy tie seem like a jarring (but still dull) contrast. It's the "waste of a nice suit" syndrome, common among businessmen.

And the way he's standing in that first picture, it looks like his torso is longer than his legs.

It isn't, is it?

It also looks like the shoulders on the suit are too broad for him. Look at how the shoulders of the suit engulf his head.

4. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

Bill Gates either just doesn't care how he looks or is
    just so sartorially inept that no matter how hard he
    tries, he just can't get beyond the geek image. It's
    hard to tell which it is.

About the only IT CEO who looks sartorially well put together is
    Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, although he sometimes seems too
    concerned with his appearance.

[​IMG]

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Ellison is an egotistical Brioni man done well - Trump should take notice.

6. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

completely uninspired, how much time out of the day would it take to give it some due attention...maybe its his default screensaver suit.

7. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I am sure he doesn't care what others say about his suits with all the money he has.[​IMG]

8. Stu

Stu Senior member

You can do this repeatedly with many powerful folks and their clothes. They are expected to wear suits and they do. The patronize a tailor who fits them, charges top dollar and if you asked them about their clothes, they might first tell you how much they paid or the brand (ala Trump). Few fathers explain to their sons about quality, fit, etc and so brands and cost have become the lingua franca of mens clothing.

Some other powerful and badly dressed that come to mind:
    1. Trump
    2. GW Bush
    3. Bill Clinton
    4. Steve Jobs

Whoa. I gotta take issue with you on W and Clinton. W, in particular, seems always well tailored, save for Bulgegate. He is not flashy, but he always seems well coordinated. Clinton I always thought did a nice job of finding the right colors. Jobs I have not paid any attention to and Trump I would agree with.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I am sure he doesn't care what others say about his suits with all the money he has.[​IMG]

Ironic isn't it? A man who could buy every single Neopolitan and British tailoring shop without a comma disappearing from his checkig account looks like he gets his suits from Walmart. I was actually just having a similar conversation with a friend recently. We were discussing how, for the most part, American milionaire/billionaires (at least the public ones) just don't seem to enjoy their money the way their Italian, British and Japanese counterparts do. Clothes, watches, cars, women; there seems to be a shame in this country if you live "la dolce vita". The milllionaires I know (through my money management job, not because I am a peer [​IMG] ) seem to spend their time worrying about keeping and adding to what they have accumulated rather than enjoying it.

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

When I was researching my book, I had a lengthy discussion with Mr. DeCaro.

He intimated that Gate's handlers like him looking that way. Better to look like he just fell off the turnip truck than the rapacious monopolist he can be at worst, and extremely astute businessman at best.

11. Max

Max Senior member

I wouldn't care if I was the richest man on the planet.

12. Stu

Stu Senior member

He intimated that Gate's handlers like him looking that way. Better to look like he just fell off the turnip truck than the rapacious monopolist he can be at worst, and extremely astute businessman at best.

That's funny. The richest man in the world, one of the most powerful and smartest as well, pays a tailor tons of money to make him look bad.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Ironic isn't it? A man who could buy every single Neopolitan and British tailoring shop without a comma disappearing from his checkig account looks like he gets his suits from Walmart. I was actually just having a similar conversation with a friend recently. We were discussing how, for the most part, American milionaire/billionaires (at least the public ones) just don't seem to enjoy their money the way their Italian, British and Japanese counterparts do. Clothes, watches, cars, women; there seems to be a shame in this country if you live "la dolce vita". The milllionaires I know (through my money management job, not because I am a peer [​IMG] ) seem to spend their time worrying about keeping and adding to what they have accumulated rather than enjoying it.
    It's the Protestant ethic in this country that makes it particularly objectionable to live hedonistically in any context lest one appear to be a Mafia don.

14. Matt

Matt [email protected]

so then why does he bother with a tailor? He could just send one of his handlers to Target.

15. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

It's the Protestant ethic in this country that makes it particularly objectionable to live hedonistically in any context lest one appear to be a Mafia don.
    Weber sucks.