1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Criticize Gate's suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by metkirk, Apr 23, 2006.

1. metkirk

metkirk Senior Member

and these Vietnamese men, too

[​IMG]

2. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

The sad part is I read somewhere that he has his suits done bespoke. Hard to believe from looking at that photo.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

4. Millerp

Millerp Senior Member

The sad part is I read somewhere that he has his suits done bespoke. Hard to believe from looking at that photo.

The suit below seems to be very finely sewn. Looks like pick stiching
    and hand made button holes.

Maybe he just asks his tailor for an over sized potato sack[​IMG]

Seriously, it's been reported that he gets some of his clothes from Seattle designer/tailor Gian DeCaro.

[​IMG]

5. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

In this picture it doesn't look half-bad. Is it the same suit? Different shirt and tie, both entirely uninspiring BTW.

6. maxnharry

maxnharry Distinguished Member

You can do this repeatedly with many powerful folks and their clothes. They are expected to wear suits and they do. The patronize a tailor who fits them, charges top dollar and if you asked them about their clothes, they might first tell you how much they paid or the brand (ala Trump). Few fathers explain to their sons about quality, fit, etc and so brands and cost have become the lingua franca of mens clothing.

Some other powerful and badly dressed that come to mind:
    1. Trump
    2. GW Bush
    3. Bill Clinton
    4. Steve Jobs

7. Millerp

Millerp Senior Member

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

His suit is better than the other guys' but has a couple oddities about it - the shoulder looks a bit odd to my eye and the trousers look like they could be finessed a little to fit better. I'm not even going to comments on some of the footwear on display in the first photo, or the desperately unfortunate suits worn by some of the other gentlemen.

I suspect the suit is actually quite well made and fits reasonably when Gates is standing still in front of a mirror. It's just he looks so uncomfortable and plain awkward in a suit. So even the best fitting suit would look ungainly.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

hmm, if they would come to Saigon, then i could intro all these guys to my tailor. Bill could pick something up, get Dung to mail it to him when he gets back [​IMG]

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

An interesting twist. http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-526828.html
    Ernest? There's not one really good-looking piece of clothing in the top photo. Makes me think they do it on purpose.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

And this is no less amazing:

12. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Ernest? There's not one really good-looking piece of clothing in the top photo. Makes me think they do it on purpose.
    C'mon, that's a great turquoise muumuu!

13. Matt

Matt [email protected]

C'mon, that's a great turquoise muumuu!
    actually I may know her. Looks an awful lot like a woman from the US consular office in Saigon responsible for international trade promotion. I met her when we launched the Kimberly Clark factory a year or so ago, she was a gues speaker and had just arrived here. Not 100% sure, but very possible

14. seen

seen Senior Member

Bill's very cheap when it comes to clothes, he thinks even Old Navy stuff is too expensive....

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

My guess would be that there is about $500 worth of clothes between the six of them. The most expensive being the blue mumu if only because of the fabric yardage needed to make that. If Gates really does use a tailor, the mans shop should be shut down, regardless or not of whether Gates asked to look this way. Gates is a walking advertisement to NOT go to that particular tailor.