• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Criticism of Charles Tyrwhitt's revised >Black label< suit jacket?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I got the CT Black Label and my first impression was negative, which I tried to overcome, but at last failed. I wore it and I showed it to several persons and got several comments. My decision to return it was due to a complex of factors which put together irritated me. It may sound odd, but what most prominently remains in my mind is the shape of the jacket - the extravagantly padded shoulders extended beyond my own real ones combined with the closely fitted lower part of the jacket which somehow gave me the impression didn't flare out sufficiently. Too bad I don't know a well-versed tailor or cutter to discuss my feelings. Minor irritations were the sleeves which were too long to allowcuffs to be seen, although 38S (impossible to shorten at the cuff because the distance between first cuff bottonhole and sleeve end is too short), cheap looking buttons can be overlooked. I regret that it didn't work out. Why should I spend money for a jacket that doesn't really enthuse me? My strategy is to wear something I really like - and the Black Label dogstooth unfortunaely didn't fit me well enough to keep it. Nick Wheeler and his online consultants Victoria, etc., are very friendly and try hard. The plastic suitcase for the jacket is very practical to keep moths off. I hope the New & Lingwood jacket http://www.newandlingwood.com/product.php?id=1070 will please me as the N&L double-breasted blazer did and does. I can bear the ticket pocket which I consider in principle ornamental clutter, and thus ugl, if the shape and other factors please. Cordings has an action back without those shooting pockets whose name I forget but not in S. Holland and Holland doesn't have S - the one button sleeve could be easily shortened - but my girlfriend as well as others dislike those pockets of the standard Half-Norfolk. The two CT houndstooth business casual shirts I kept and wear often.

I wanted to post my result because after all the effort the kind posters took to tell me what they think it is the least I can do to show them my gratitude. Thanks very much for taking the trouble to write!

Last edited:

kasakka

Reaction score
I had my jacket tailored, just the sleeves lengthened a bit and the waist taken in. Turned out quite nicely and now I'm happy with it.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your post which shows your practical or pragmatic temperament to solve problems. Presumably you know a tailor you can trust to make alterations - I don't. That's an important factor, because postage for transportation of the jacket to London - and I would have to check Ask Andy or this website to find or ask you for a recommended tailor - from Switzerland is expensive. That's also the problem with alterations - one must consider the price as part of the cost for the jacket. The money I spend for alterations could be spent instead for a more expensive jacket which presents less difficulty. However, your situation differs from mine in at least two respects - the nature of the alterations and the availability of tailor. Furthermore, you might have developed such a view for clothes that you recognise features for which I do not have evolved the perception. I am happy for you that the jacket you have now pleases you in the shape you individualised.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads