• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crewneck vs vneck sweaters

cmrocks

Reaction score
I want to take advantage of the fact that jcrew has their cashmere sweaters on sale and stock up for next year. Currently, the only sweater I have that is even decent (ie. not from the Gap) is my black cashmere cardigan. I'm just wondering if I should stock up on crewnecks or on vnecks?

To be honest, I wear my sweaters 90% of the time with jeans and a long sleeve tshirt underneath the sweater.

I'm thinking that crewnecks might be easier since I can just wear them with an undershirt. They could also be worn with nothing underneath in warmer weather. I've always been a fan of casual linen pants and a thin sweater for going out at night in the summer.

On the other hand, I'm thinking that vnecks would be more versatile since I could wear them with different color tshirts underneath and with collared shirts underneath on occasion too.

Another thing I'm wondering is which style of sweater flatters which type of face better? My head is probably a bit bigger proportionally than my frame size is and I don't have a short neck. I'm also only 5'9 tall if that makes any difference.

progressiveminded

Reaction score
I am very much a fan of v-necks over crew necks. V-necks are much more versatile and are much easier to pull off, if you ask me. I'm also partial to how ties look under v-necks, if that's your kind of thing.

Aries

Reaction score
Not really sure about the versatility factor, but I suppose V necks might have an edge in that department, due to the fact that you can wear different colors/ types of shirts underneath for newer looks each time.

Regarding head proportion,I don't think either V nceck or crew neck has any effect. However, I do believe and have consistently hear that the neck shape affects the facial structure. A V neck tends to elongate the face while a crew neck tends to have the opposite effect. Hence, V necks are recommended for round faces while crew necks for angular/ long faces.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For various reasons, I generally look better with a collar of some sort. So I like v-necks (pref. semi-shallow ones) because I can wear a collared shirt with them, and shallow because I rarely wear ties. However, I often just want to throw on a sweater, and I don't think I look that good with just a v-neck, and I hate the v-neck over a t-shirt look, so for those times I like crewnecks.

Basically, you're screwed. You need both.

Personally, I prefer zip mocknecks most of all because I can adjust them for temperature, whereas most other types stick you in one comfort zone. Thick cashmere turtlenecks are almost useless to me as I quickly overheat, whereas thin cotton v-necks are almost pointless because they don't insulate much at all, etc. A 1/4 zip or full-zip sweater fixes both these problems, and also provides me with a semblance of a collar, which makes me look better generally. They can also be worn either with t-shirts or collared casual/dress shirts and look fine either way.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
for dressing up, i find vneck sweaters much appropriate to layer over a dress shirt. it seems to expose a part of the shirt which is not too much or too less. it looks more classier and more refined than a crewneck one. however, crewnecks are better for a casual outing because they simply look laid-back and perfect for lounging.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I figured there wouldn't be an easy answer.

I was looking at the sweaters online a bit more and thinking that maybe I'll get a few normal vneck sweaters and then a crewneck sweater that is cableknit.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good choice - crewnecks can use some detailing since they are such a big expanse of solid color otherwise, whereas plain v-necks can at least be changed up with different shirts. I have a few cable crews, mostly RL cashmere ones. They are a pretty good value when they have the sales, or on ebay.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries
Not really sure about the versatility factor, but I suppose V necks might have an edge in that department, due to the fact that you can wear different colors/ types of shirts underneath for newer looks each time.

Regarding head proportion,I don't think either V nceck or crew neck has any effect. However, I do believe and have consistently hear that the neck shape affects the facial structure. A V neck tends to elongate the face while a crew neck tends to have the opposite effect. Hence, V necks are recommended for round faces while crew necks for angular/ long faces.

+1 on the neck shape and facial structure.

I think I have neither a particularly narrow/long neck nor overly round face/short neck, so I wear both regularly. I think a button down looks good under both, though they're different looks to be sure. And a v-neck can be dressed down with a t-shirt while a crew neck really can't, and are probably dressier under a blazer with a dress shirt and are definitely the only one to wear a tie under.

So yeah, if your face/neck look fine with either than get both. They both have their purpose.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
I used to have some cashmere V-necks with a really deep neckline, where the point of the V was around the bottom of my sternum. I thnk they looked pretty sloppy and would shift around a lot. Now I have a couple of much shallower V-necks, and I really like how they look with a collared shirt and especially with a tie.

cmrocks

Reaction score
j,

How's the fit on the RL cableknit sweaters? I like the fact that they don't have the stupid pony on them. They look like they fit well on the models on the website but those guys are usually pretty built so its tough to say.

I definately agree with you on the zip mock neck though. I used to have a plain black merino zip mock neck that I wore for years until it just fell apart. It was my favorite sweater. Looked great with jeans, sneakers and a tshirt. It was surprisingly warm zipped all the way up too. I actually kind of liked that look on occasion too. It worked well because the sweater was black I think.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Do yourself a favor and do not stock up on J.Crew cashmere. The sweaters are poor quality and pill like crazy.
Yeah, I agree. Their merino sweaters rock, but their cashmere leaves much to be desired.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The fit on the RL cables is really not too gigantic, though I still size down when possible. I have one Small that fits quite small (it may have been washed), a couple Ms that fit decently but not close (probably 44" chest) and another small that fits exactly like the Ms... I don't know if it's inconsistent or if my sweaters are just random.

BTW, if you like the zip mocks check out the RL lambswool ones, I have one I've been beating absolutely to death for a year and a half now - I wear it under my Vanson to ride in colder weather - and while it's starting to stretch out and get a little pilly, that's entirely my fault. And even so, most people would probably still think it looks good on me. The thing is holding up better than any sweater I've seen and I got it on their sale for $40 or so. If you wash lambswool and toss it in the dryer for 10 minutes or so damp (at your own risk) it comes out nearly as soft as cashmere.

It's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-POLO-RALPH-L...QQcmdZViewItem - I'm tempted to buy this one for myself as a replacement but I think I'll get a different color next time... I have enough black sweaters.

I wish they would come out with those in some more interesting colors... hint hint RL.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Where's the best place to get RL sweaters on discount anyways? I'm heading down to Seattle soon to check out the outlet store in Bellingham.

As for jcrew, I'll see what they have in store. I've heard the merino sweaters are nice and they are a lot cheaper too. I just didn't see them listed online anymore. I definately want to get a cableknit in cashmere though. I can only imagine how comfortable and warm that would be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads