• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crew or V-Neck Undershirt to Wear with Unbuttoned Dress Shirts?

barracudapartne

Reaction score
Which do you wear as an undershirt when wearing a dress shirt without a tie?

I've had several sales associates at Nordstroms say that it look "bad" to have your crew neck undershirt showing underneath an unbuttoned- dress shirt.

Thoughts?

jt10000

Reaction score
I'll bite.

V-neck, unless for some reason you want to show off your undershirt. Do you?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone once suggested Zimmerli for the best slim fitting underwear. They are pretty expensive though. I have one from Novila (no v-neck) that's nice, made in Germany and just half the price, but I don't know how it fits under a shirt.
Something like a deep-ish v-neck should work for you (deepness depending on whether you unbutton two or five buttons) -- this one is from Zimmerli.

Last edited:

jt10000

Reaction score
Someone once suggested Zimmerli for the best slim fitting underwear. They are pretty expensive though. I have one from Novila (no v-neck) that's nice, made in Germany and just half the price, but I don't know how it fits under a shirt.
Something like a deep-ish v-neck should work for you (deepness depending on whether you unbutton two or five buttons) -- this one is from Zimmerli.

Nice pecs bro. Not that I'm looking at them or anything.

Uniqlo Airism v-neck is the best undershirt I've tried - and cheap. But I can only compare to Hanes, FOTL, 2Xst, etc.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider wearing neither. Also, use the search function.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

unbelragazzo ( - Consulting, and all business - it is unacceptable to not wear an undershirt.

For some reason this topic results in warfare every time it comes up on SF:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/286217/do-you-wear-an-undershirt-why
http://www.styleforum.net/t/63055/the-on-going-undershirt-debate-do-you-wear-one

It is perhaps second only to whether one must remove one's shoes upon entering a home in this regard. I'll leave it to you to wade through the 300 posts in those two threads to decide whether you want to wear an undershirt or not, but it sounds as if your mind is already made up.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
How is it unacceptable to wear an undershirt in business? I thought the whole point was nobody was meant to see it?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How is it unacceptable to wear an undershirt in business? I thought the whole point was nobody was meant to see it?

He's saying it's unacceptable NOT to wear an undershirt in business...although apparently he thinks splitting infinitives is appropriate in an internet forum. In which regard he is probably correct.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
To boldly go and all that...

Thanks for clearing that up, I was sure I had to have read it incorrectly!

papa kot

Reaction score
I wear Tommy John v-necks. Sure, they're a bit on the expensive side, but you can't beat the fit and the comfort level, especially during travel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads