• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crew cut in professional environment

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In college and law school, I always wore my hair short (usually a "1" or a "2"). Now that I'm a lawyer at a big firm, I've been wearing my hair regular length. I'm thinking of shaving it all of and going with a "3" (I've worn a "3" before, and it's pretty short, but in my opinion, not so much so that it looks unprofessional). Any thoughts on the subject?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see no problem. It is still a rather conservative/innocuous cut. Go for it. Realistically though, get a few more opinions, preferably from others in a similar vocation.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I see no problem. It is still a rather conservative/innocuous cut. Go for it. Realistically though, get a few more opinions, preferably from others in a similar vocation.

Yeah, good advice. I'll run it by some colleagues as well as you fellas.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends on your face.

with a number 3, i look like a guy with short hair. when my cousin wears a 3, he looks like a criminal.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
it depends on your face.

with a number 3, i look like a guy with short hair. when my cousin wears a 3, he looks like a criminal.

Yeah. The lady that cuts my hair calls it "the serial killer look" so that's not a good sign.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, do you look like this:

oceans12_wideweb__470x366.jpg

or like this:

everybody_is_wrong_silence_lambs_hopkins.jpg

With a crew cut?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By crewcut I assume you mean all the same length orthogonally as opposed to a flat-top?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
It's fine, oe. Longer hair can be tricky for a lawyer, although it obviously can be carried off. But I honestly can't recall ever seeing another lawyer and thinking "his hair is too short to look professional".

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odoreater, a pair of authoritative eyeglasses would help to balance this haircut.

jackmccullough

Reaction score
Could someone explain the numbers in the earlier posts? Is it the number of the guide you use, or something else?

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jackmccullough
Could someone explain the numbers in the earlier posts? Is it the number of the guide you use, or something else?

It is the size of the plastic guard that is attached to the hair clippers (the purple, blue, pink and red comb-looking things in the pic below). The lower the number, the smaller the guard and the closer the blades get to the scalp.

607s.jpg

FWIW, I wear a 3 in a prof. environment.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the tips everyone. I guess I look closer to brad pitt than hannibal lecter so I think I should be able to pull it off just fine.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Nice, thanks for the tips everyone. I guess I look closer to brad pitt than hannibal lecter so I think I should be able to pull it off just fine.

Yes, I foresee no problem, you should be fine
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most likely problem is being seen as "military" by people who don't like the military.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
The most likely problem is being seen as "military" by people who don't like the military.

As someone with a #1 all over, I occasionally get this, but it's not really a problem--the type of people who don't like the military are also usually easy to intimidate, and you don't even have to feel bad for doing it.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads