Crepe sole?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by XeF4, Jul 10, 2008.

1. rbny

rbny Senior member

I agree that crepe soles are just about the most comfortable soles for boots/shoes. I do know that they don't last very long and are less of a hard wearing sole than vibram-type soles. But like I've said in another post, their meant to be comfortable not durable. You will still get some mileage out them and I would just keep replacing them when they wear down. At least for me, comfort is more important.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Right now I'm wearing a pair of longwings with a crepe sole. Amazing comfort.

3. Trackstarr

Trackstarr Senior member

it can be used as an eraser
    lol

4. chowchow

chowchow Senior member

crepe sole is the most comfortable sole you can find
    so there is a trade off between durability and comfort

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Although I like crepe soles for comfort, I still think they're ugly. I have one pair of shoes with the sole and won't buy another until these wear out.

6. iroh

iroh Senior member

I agree that crepe soles are just about the most comfortable soles for boots/shoes. I do know that they don't last very long and are less of a hard wearing sole than vibram-type soles. But like I've said in another post, their meant to be comfortable not durable. You will still get some mileage out them and I would just keep replacing them when they wear down. At least for me, comfort is more important.
    How long do crepe soles last? Can shoes with crepe soles be worn in the rain? Will the water quickly wear through the sole like it does for leather soles?

7. bombers

bombers Senior member

From the Clarks DB thread it is not good with water and there's no traction.

8. theuglylover

theuglylover Well-Known Member

Can shoes with crepe soles be worn in the rain?

Only if you want to slip and fracture your hip. Sometimes it'll feel you're on a skating rink.

9. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Out of curiousity, what are the advantages of crepe over the traditional rubber sole?

You will be in step with everyone at Opening Ceremony.

10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I'm using them for walking the dog in the winter on an icy dirt road. Last winter I nearly bit the dust on many occasion when wearing Vibram soled boots. And they are comfy as noted.

11. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

How long do crepe soles last?

Can shoes with crepe soles be worn in the rain? Will the water quickly wear through the sole like it does for leather soles?

don't dare wear crepe in the rain. If you have them on and it starts raining, you should immediately take them off and hold them sole-side down under your arms, and find shelter. wait for the rain to stop, and then to dry completely, and then walk home - CAREFULLY

12. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

i just got a pair of y's boots in the mail with crepe soles. never had tried crepe soles before but WOW they are comfortable.

13. Lane

Lane Senior member

Vibram soles. Your cobbler can put em on for 50 bucks.

/thread

seriously

14. narm60

narm60 Well-Known Member

It depends on the type of crepe sole. Alden's has ridges and a leather tip and is said to be ok in bad weather. It's also supposed to last a lot longer than the Clarks

15. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

My redwings I wear 5 times a week and have since january. They started getting flat spots around 6 months. I'd say at around 1 year and 2 months total I will need to look at replacing the bottom. The only probably I have is when they smoothed out they are slicker than hell on tile when wet. Just wear your damn boots.