• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creme de cacao - always s**t?

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this belong in a well-stocked bar? The varieties on sale here in the Land of Free-Flowing Moral Judgement look like they were distilled and bottled in a Nepalese outhouse...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
decant it into a mason jar and then that ugly bottle business goes away.

Alternatively you could get something similar, like, ummm. Godiva liqeur.

[don't take away my man card, bro!)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Smith and Curran

2 oz creme de cacao
1 oz cream
club soda

Pour creme de cacao and cream over ice in highball glass, add enough club soda to top up the glass. Stir just enough to mix the ingredients.

Sounds like an alcoholic YooHoo!

I approve.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need it, if for this alone: The Alexander

No, I didn't say Brandy Alexander. The original, without the Brandy prefix, was made with Gin. Google up a Brandy Alexander recipe and swap the brandy 1:1 for gin.

Super.

~ H

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yes, you need it, if for this alone: The Alexander

No, I didn't say Brandy Alexander. The original, without the Brandy prefix, was made with Gin. Google up a Brandy Alexander recipe and swap the brandy 1:1 for gin.

Super.

~ H

Thank you, now I remember why I have a half empty bottle of this stuff in my bar. I was trying to remember what I made with it, and now I recall making a few for a dinner party.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yes, you need it, if for this alone: The Alexander No, I didn't say Brandy Alexander. The original, without the Brandy prefix, was made with Gin. Google up a Brandy Alexander recipe and swap the brandy 1:1 for gin. Super. ~ H
What's your recommended recipe Hunts? I just did a quick Google search and came up with 4 different versions on the first page of results alone. 2/1/1, 1.5/1/1, 1.5/.5/.5, 1/1/1 Brandy(Gin)/Cacao/Cream

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys:
Gin is, perhaps, the most illicit and storied spirit of all, save only la fee verte , Absinthe. From the the 18th century "gin mills" of London to the "bathtub gin" of Prohibition, the ease of producing something sufficiently similar to gin has caused it to be the spirit of last resort for much of the history of alcohol. And yet, gin is perhaps the most versatile spirit, despite, or more accuarately, because of the particularly clean snap of juniper. While that refreshing clarity makes a beautiful summertime Gin and Tonic, would you think of gin for dessert? With chocolate? Yet this is no contradiction. The seemingly classic Brandy Alexander is a derivative of the simple Alexander, a splendid evening cocktail of cream, creme de cacao, and...gin. I also add a few drops of bitters with a cinnamon topnote. Most likely the original Alexanders were decedents of milk based drinks such as various punches and the Plush, as recipes in library go back to at least 1931 in Harry Craddock's Savoy Cocktail Book (Harry, an American bartender, fled the U.S. during Prohibition to ply his trade at the famous "American Bar" at London's Savoy Hotel). Using gin the cocktail provides a foil for the chocolate and the cream, allowing the cocktail to be both rich and refreshing at the same time. With a juniper-forward London Dry gin like Plymouth (or my house gin, Martin Miller's), the piney note of juniper is both clear and clearly at home in the ethereal foam of the drink's heavily shaken cream. A little nutmeg to garnish and! The Alexander: 1G:1CdC:2cream, bitters to suit.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Sounds like an alcoholic YooHoo!

I approve.

Oddly it's an old oilman's drink. Anywhere you find the oil business you'll find this drink. From West Texas to Ecuador to Nigeria.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oddly it's an old oilman's drink. Anywhere you find the oil business you'll find this drink. From West Texas to Ecuador to Nigeria.

Interesting.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reeeally?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot about this one:
The 20th Century

1-1/2 oz Hayman's 'Old Tom' Gin (if unavailable, add 3/8 oz simple syrup to a London Dry)
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
3/4 oz Creme de Cacao (white)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake hard, serve in a cocktail glass with a twist.

~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads