Creepy Sartorial Images

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Feb 11, 2010.

1. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

The most disturbing part of this picture is, when you stare at the outfit (which is supposed to be a suit of some kind) long enough, you begin to see that the pieces are all separates from different manufacturers (because of the different shades of black). The second most disturbing things are the skin tight gloves. [​IMG] I, too, don't get the James/Jovan comparison, besides that it is an obscure reference to DocHolliday's commentary. Are they both throwing their hats into the Esquire contest again? [​IMG]

2. intent

intent Senior member

[​IMG]

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That's creepy...
    [​IMG]

4. Agent GQ

Agent GQ Member

The most disturbing part of this picture is, when you stare at the outfit (which is supposed to be a suit of some kind) long enough, you begin to see that the pieces are all separates from different manufacturers (because of the different shades of black). The second most disturbing things are the skin tight gloves.
    [​IMG]

I, too, don't get the James/Jovan comparison, besides that it is an obscure reference to DocHolliday's commentary. Are they both throwing their hats into the Esquire contest again? [​IMG]

Never trust a man with skin tight leather gloves. I believe OJ comes to mind.

This guy reminds me of the Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark (the one who burned his hand on the hot medallion).

5. iwantobelieve

iwantobelieve Active Member

Man gives me the Jack The Ripper vibe.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The most disturbing part of this picture is, when you stare at the outfit (which is supposed to be a suit of some kind) long enough, you begin to see that the pieces are all separates from different manufacturers (because of the different shades of black). The second most disturbing things are the skin tight gloves.
    [​IMG]

I, too, don't get the James/Jovan comparison, besides that it is an obscure reference to DocHolliday's commentary. Are they both throwing their hats into the Esquire contest again? [​IMG]

Note that he also appears to be wearing white shoes.

7. Sander

Sander Senior member

Note that he also appears to be wearing white shoes.

Nah, those are his socks.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Nah, those are his socks.

White socks?

The guy is a kind of 1930's gangster with 2 guns and he is taking picture of himself wearing white socks on his feets..

Surreal or not?

9. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Senior member

The guy in the shirt is very creepy. Wouldn't want him around any of my female family members.

10. cgardel

cgardel Senior member

... There's also a big difference in teasing people for funny details in their pics -- the guy peering out of the bathroom stall, for example -- and making fun of people for their physical appearance.
    I wouldn't choose to post a pic of someone who just looks physically odd to a thread like this. That's a bit like pointing at someone in a wheelchair and laughing at them. They can't help it so that's really not very cool. But if someone makes sartorial choices that contribute to them looking creepy, it seems like they are fair game. If someone already has an odd look and decides to throw a hat on to call attention to their visage and post it on a style forum, I don't see a problem with calling them on it in a thread like this. I think there are lessons to be learned from the mistakes made by people in these photos. Hmm, they may not be mistakes if you want to go around looking like an oddball character actor.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

White socks?

The guy is a kind of 1930's gangster with 2 guns and he is taking picture of himself wearing white socks on his feets..

Surreal or not?

I bet they are white tube socks.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I wouldn't choose to post a pic of someone who just looks physically odd to a thread like this. That's a bit like pointing at someone in a wheelchair and laughing at them.

[​IMG]

- B

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

You are one to talk:

[​IMG]

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I blame asymmetry.

- B

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't choose to post a pic of someone who just looks physically odd to a thread like this. That's a bit like pointing at someone in a wheelchair and laughing at them. They can't help it so that's really not very cool. But if someone makes sartorial choices that contribute to them looking creepy, it seems like they are fair game. If someone already has an odd look and decides to throw a hat on to call attention to their visage and post it on a style forum, I don't see a problem with calling them on it in a thread like this.

I think there are lessons to be learned from the mistakes made by people in these photos. Hmm, they may not be mistakes if you want to go around looking like an oddball character actor.

FNB already has the inane post of the day. I'm surprised to see this forum so eager to embrace something similar.

This thread's hunting mighty easy prey, and I can't imagine that most people will learn much from these types of photos. Outside the forums, some folks would find the SF house style to be pretty costumey itself. Bow ties and tweed ain't been the fashion for quite a while.

I didn't mind the thread at first, but now it's threatening to turn into an ongoing feature devoted to mocking the most easily mocked. That seems kinda lame, and reflects badly on us.