• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Credit cards and prestige

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Depends on where you are. You can't make it rain with a Centurion card can you?

"I agree. You need a plastic bag full of singles."

Sincerely,
Pac-Man Jones

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I used to do this when I was 15 and bagging groceries.

Its amazing how much a high school kid can make in a 4-5 hour shift bagging groceries for suburban soccer moms.

K

You got tipped? The grocery stores around here have a strict no-tipping policy.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278

Damn Publix.
tounge.gif

Jon.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278

+1. Plus, how much can you really make off tips from walking 50 feet carrying 2 bags of groceries?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. Plus, how much can you really make off tips from walking 50 feet carrying 2 bags of groceries?

This was about 15 years ago... (**** I am old). I worked at a big chain and there was not a no tipping policy then.

Suburban Atlanta, next to the country club. Bag 'em at the register, wheel them out in a cart, put in trunk of car. Interject a bit of small talk about how school was going, saving up for car stereo / gf birthday present / etc... Low end tip was 2-3 bucks. Usually a fiver. Best were the ones that tipped a buck a bag. Figure about 3-4 tips per hour (tax free) plus minimum wage over a 5 hour shift and you are clearing upwards of 100 bucks. At the age of 15

Waited tables and bartended in college. Dont get me started on that... I'd be pissed off if I only made 200 in tips, tax free for a 5 -6 hour shift. Then there were the perks of free cover and drinks in the strip club down the road. Just for giving their staff the employee discount on takeout salads...

K

v0rtex

Reaction score
I'm a fresh-off-the-boat (legal) immigrant without a social security number, no money and no steady job (I'm self employed). But I still got given a gold card (albeit a debit).

So no, no prestige at all.

Having said that, even if I saw someone pull out a Centurion card I'd just wonder why they felt the need to impress waiters by paying for the privilege of a special color of plastic card.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
This was about 15 years ago... (**** I am old). I worked at a big chain and there was not a no tipping policy then.

Suburban Atlanta, next to the country club. Bag 'em at the register, wheel them out in a cart, put in trunk of car. Interject a bit of small talk about how school was going, saving up for car stereo / gf birthday present / etc... Low end tip was 2-3 bucks. Usually a fiver. Best were the ones that tipped a buck a bag. Figure about 3-4 tips per hour (tax free) plus minimum wage over a 5 hour shift and you are clearing upwards of 100 bucks. At the age of 15

Waited tables and bartended in college. Dont get me started on that... I'd be pissed off if I only made 200 in tips, tax free for a 5 -6 hour shift. Then there were the perks of free cover and drinks in the strip club down the road. Just for giving their staff the employee discount on takeout salads...

K

Damn.... that's better than I got driving for Jimmy John's! hahaha

Although I did get flashed (by a chick, thankyouverymuch) as a tip once.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That wad of CAD 20's will get you first class treatment. Seats right at the drool trough at any "ballet" in town
inlove.gif

Hookers and hockey players, my man, hookers and hockey players ...
bigstar[1].gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
That's nothing. I regularly get reservations at Dorsia.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Yes, but I put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand
now.

vc2000

Reaction score
I'd say the prestige factor of the Centurion card is dead when Bank of America started issuing their Accolades American Express card which happens to be BLACK.

The accolades card has no annual fee and is given to customers with as little as $25k in relationship banking especially by bank associates hoping to drum up more relationship business. I had to listen to a girlfriend's mother claim that she had a "Black Amex" and how important she was...she merely had a B of A card not the Centurion card. So I guess she did have a Black Amex but not Centurion. This woman is not the profile of a Centurion member. I don't think she shops anywhere but TJ Maxx...I'd guess she has a small CD at B of A which is part of her retirement savings...how is that for prestige?

Most people aren't going to know the difference between the two - the point was the card was Black right? The average person isn't going to know to look for the words centurion on the card rather they will see a black card and think oh a black card...suddenly they will see them all the time.

The accolades card gives the same access to airport lounges...it doesn't give access to the Concierge/Reservations service but on another thread I already offered my opinion on that which was that I find concierge to be lacking and always booking at the highest rate possible to maintain relationships. For the Centurion annual fee I think you could have a membership in a concierge service with better results. Or pay your admin half the amount in an annual bonus...

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like i said, these days it's all about the American Express Charter Member card.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave back my AMEX Gold, Nowadays you can have free fee credit cards here ( VISA and MC ) I don't need to pay $250 per year just to have a plastic golden card. I can do the same with my VISA.

When I did they offered me a platinum with 1 year free fee... I declined.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 65535
Yes, but I put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand
now.

Yeah, well, look at my new business card. That's bone. And the lettering is something called Silian Rail.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I gave back my AMEX Gold, Nowadays you can have free fee credit cards here ( VISA and MC ) I don't need to pay $250 per year just to have a plastic golden card. I can do the same with my VISA.

When I did they offered me a platinum with 1 year free fee... I declined.

This is why I have the Blue: no annual fee, convenient smart chip, and points that never expire, what more do I need?

Jon.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
This is why I have the Blue: no annual fee, convenient smart chip, and points that never expire, what more do I need? Jon.
If you don't need anymore, then the blue is perfect for you. If you read my post above, I get my money back dollar for dollar from Amex on my Plat. membership and usually feel I've gotten more than I've paid for. I do need more, so I pay for it. The black card is a different story for me. I can't afford to spend enough money to get back $7500 in perks, and I do not value the "prestige" factor of a credit card enough to make up the difference. However, I stand 100% behind my statement that AMEX (even when I had a green card) is the best customer service organization I have EVER dealt with. Having their higher end cards amplifies that level of service and I do feel I am treated differently by retailers because they know they will not beat Amex in a reasonable dispute (of course my disputes are ALWAYS reasonable
devil.gif
).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads