• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Credit Card problem

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so I really want to get my credit going because I plan to open a little business down the line. However I am having some issues getting a credit card. I tried to get family members to co-sign for me but they have bad credit so they are no use. I work during the day and take online classes at night. Obviously since I don't have any credit I can't get one on my own. How is one supposed to get credit if you can't get a credit card? I heard that paying rent counts as credit. Is that true? For reference I am 20 years. I don't mean to sound like a dunce or make beat a dead horse but this has been puzzling me for a while.

dganderson

Reaction score
Go to Visa's website and use the card finder. One of the options is to find a card bases on credit and you can select none. The rate isn't very good but if you're paying it off each month then you won't have to worry.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to work in a bank and this is a common problem.
What you need is a secured credit card, your bank can do it for you or you can research one online. What happens, for example, is you give the bank/credit company $300 - $1000 as collateral. The bank puts the money in a time deposit account aka CD to earn interest. then depending on how much you gave them lets say $500, they give you a $500 credit card. For a year you show them and prove that you can pay on time and then they give you a regular unsecured credit card and return your money. Just see if you can get a card with rewards. I highly recommend you pay off the balance every month to show them you are trust worthy.
Also you mentioned you go to school you may be able to get a school credit card, try this first then move to secured.

Good Luck

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ed-mastercard/ - secured
http://www.chasecreditcards.com/student-cards.asp - student

Originally Posted by Jokerman
Ok so I really want to get my credit going because I plan to open a little business down the line. However I am having some issues getting a credit card. I tried to get family members to co-sign for me but they have bad credit so they are no use. I work during the day and take online classes at night. Obviously since I don't have any credit I can't get one on my own. How is one supposed to get credit if you can't get a credit card? I heard that paying rent counts as credit. Is that true? For reference I am 20 years. I don't mean to sound like a dunce or make beat a dead horse but this has been puzzling me for a while.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my first credit card 2 years ago when I was 18. I didn't have any credit, and I didn't need a cosigner. I just went to my bank and asked what was available for someone in my situation. They issued me a specific card for college students. I started with a $600 dollar limit, which they have now raised to $1000. I've made all my payments in full and on time each month, so I have a very good credit score. I got an AMEX last year, and have seen my credit limit increase every month. Currently, I have a limit of 20k, which is ridiculous. It seems like think they want me to overspend and get into debt.

Just be careful and responsible.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my banks(RBC Centura) tried to get me a Credit Card but they couldn't do it. I guess I will go into Bank of America and see if they can do anything for me.

Btw didn't the age requirement for obtaining a credit card without a cosigner get raised lately? Like with in the last year.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe the age requirement did change shortly after I got my first card.

I'd try Bank of America. Do you have an account there? Wachovia was where it worked for me.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I have a Bank of America account although I rarely use it. I only made it because of when I worked on Nantucket. I hate to have to depend on them but if I can get one through them I will take it.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea thanks for the link sinned. I signed up for one of them. We will see what the response is.

I am definitely aware at how important it is to pay off on time. I have plenty of money set aside for just that purpose.

coop86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I got my first credit card 2 years ago when I was 18. I didn't have any credit, and I didn't need a cosigner. I just went to my bank and asked what was available for someone in my situation. They issued me a specific card for college students. I started with a $600 dollar limit, which they have now raised to $1000. I've made all my payments in full and on time each month, so I have a very good credit score. I got an AMEX last year, and have seen my credit limit increase every month. Currently, I have a limit of 20k, which is ridiculous. It seems like think they want me to overspend and get into debt.

AMEX wants you to spend a ton of money each month because they mainly try to make money from a % fee from shops that accept AMEX. So the more money you spend, the more they can take as a fee from the shops. That combined with a hefty annual fee adds up to a lot without having to rely on screwing over cardholders with interest, although they will do that if opportunity presents itself.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate credit cards and credit card providers. The stuff they do is near-criminal.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got my first credit card 2 years ago when I was 18. I didn't have any credit, and I didn't need a cosigner. I just went to my bank and asked what was available for someone in my situation. They issued me a specific card for college students. I started with a $600 dollar limit, which they have now raised to $1000. I've made all my payments in full and on time each month, so I have a very good credit score. I got an AMEX last year, and have seen my credit limit increase every month. Currently, I have a limit of 20k, which is ridiculous. It seems like think they want me to overspend and get into debt. Just be careful and responsible.
You don't seem so young. I'm surprised.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Getting a credit card at 18 seems too late in my book. I have had once since I was 16, and even before that that mother put my name on her card in a linked account or something. I am not sure how she pulled that off, but she was very strict about me building credit and being responsible. I am now 25 and I have never paid once cent in interest and neither of my two cards have anywhere close to 20k limits. Are you requesting this?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Getting a credit card at 18 seems too late in my book. I have had once since I was 16, and even before that that mother put my name on her card in a linked account or something. I am not sure how she pulled that off, but she was very strict about me building credit and being responsible. I am now 25 and I have never paid once cent in interest and neither of my two cards have anywhere close to 20k limits. Are you requesting this?
I didn't get one until I was 21 or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads