• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Credit Card Advice (Travel)

lionkingZ

Reaction score
Hi there, I did do a search and found some overlapping threads, but thought it might be best to start my own to address my own concerns. I have never owned a credit card before but I am interested in getting one because I think it might be the safest card that I could carry when travelling abroad for a prolonged period of time. However, as I'm so uneducated in the matter, I don't really know what I should be looking for. What are the main things to look for when getting a card? Will I be limited in choice because of my lack of credit history? Is getting a card for travel a good idea? I was planning on taking the credit card, then paying this amount off immediately from my debit account each month. Thoughts? Thank you very much

facebookdigg123

Reaction score
if you're going international, get a capital one credit card. no foreign fee charges. It will be harder to get a good card with rewards with limited credit history.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have no history at all, you might have to get a secured card. That said, if you hang out in a university lounge there are probably a half-dozen credit cards being given out to students, so maybe not. I'm not sure what the situation is like these days for people with no history.

If you're using for travel you probably want a minimum limit of 1.5-2k otherwise it will be a real pain ********** to book flights. In effect, you'll have to give the bank 2k and they'll give you a card with a 2k limit in return. If you can't get an unsecured card, it's the best way to build credit. Visa or MC are probably the way to go if it's going to be your only card, since they're accepted more places than anything else. If you want your score to actually improve, paying minimum isn't enough so don't max it out unless you're going to get the balance back under 20-30% each month.

Last edited:

Unregistered

Reaction score
Universities tend to have lots of credit card booths around especially around September. Might be a little difficult to hunt down right now.

I got my first credit card at 17 in my first year of university. Wasn't secured and they gave me $1500 in limit.

Get one as soon as you can, start using it to pay for everything and pay it off as soon as possible. Never have a balance (even if you intend to pay it off before the cycle is done) exceeding 80% of your limit. That way, you can ensure that you get as high a credit rating as you can. You'll need that to increase your limit when you can to allow you to spend easier.

It's only been 4 years with a credit card for me and I'm using an Amex with $8000 limit. I don't intend to get anywhere near that, but having that high limit allows me to purchase things without having to worry about approaching that 60-80% of my limit.

As for using overseas, the only credit card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions is Capital One as facebookdigg mentioned. All other cards charge a certain % for usage, in addition to the currency conversion factor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads