1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Creativity, the Art of the Outfit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by IEG, Feb 24, 2018.

1. IEG

IEG Senior Member

I wanted to ask of you fine Forum Members your opinion on this, creativity.
    I actually, trying to be modest, consider my self a well dressed man. That said I do realize opinions vary, there are many posts on this forum of folks wearing outfits that are very well put together but it wouldn't be something "I" would wear. So from a standpoint of creativity, I always feel it is a matter of doing things that most people don't do and making it somehow work that defines creativity with regards to putting together an outfit rather than just putting something together that looks good or that you know others will think looks good.
    What is your approach or method in this regard? I do see some very well dressed men posting pics that are not necessarily mainstream looks and they nail it! I think those outfits are the ones that require the most creativity. Also managing to make something work that is out of the norm also requires a bit of risk and I find when I think I have done it I get greater satisfaction with the outfit versus just matching a suit with a tie and shirt and the shoes.
    Any input?

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Imo, "the norm" or "mainstream" is all about trying to look/think creative or different. I'd just try to look good, however one defines that.

3. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

Looking good is way more satisfying to me than looking like I was trying to be creative with my clothes.

4. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

Cohesion is more important than creativity in classic menswear. To be honest, it's more important in all aspects of dressing well as a man unless you're really into world of designer fashion.

You could dress in well-fitting navy or grey suits, navy blazers, grey trousers, beige chinos, black or dark brown shoes, light blue/white/pink shirts, navy, black, burgundy ties and white linen pocket squares every day for the rest of your life and be better dressed than 99% of the average male population. You just need the means and a simpatico tailor. No imagination or creativity required at all.

Step outside of that and things become more difficult. You have to really think about formality levels and textures and colours and patterns and it can be enough to make your head spin. It's common for new guys to try throwing on things like hats and ties to class up a casual outfit but it nearly always looks terrible. There's just too much clashing formality and the net effect looks muddled and confused.

I dislike the general red-pill lite vibe of the Art of Manliness but credit where it's due, the video below is one of the best I've seen in terms of how to build a basic wardrobe without needing to spend a huge amount of money.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

5. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Creativity in this instance is being appropriately dressed for an occasion without making a fuss about it.

6. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

DG - All your pics that I have seen look jarring to me, and that’s not a good thing. Maybe you’re trying too hard to stand out? The problem is that there are so many people who are poorly dressed these days (most of whom don’t even care about trying to dress well) that you can stand out by being well dressed in a ‘conformist’ manner, you don’t have to throw the kitchen sink at an outfit to stand out. These days you can be subversive in many places just by wearing a demure suit and tie if everything fits well. (No, not a bow tie, again that’s a move calculated to make you stand out).

There’s an old cliche about learning the rules before breaking them which is appropriate here. Just like the jazz musician who has to learn his instrument the formal way with scales etc before he can start improvising. The impression you give is of having jumped into menswear with both feet but somehow overshot the basics. That suit jacket was too short, the bow tie PLUS the waistcoat both individually ‘de trop’ and even worse combined, and the Indy boots just way too incongruently casual combined with the rest.

Just my well-meaning two cents but this is the internet so by all means feel free to ignore.