• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creative or Black Tie Optional

Reward

Reaction score
This is for a gala held by the Manhattan Cocktail Classic at the New York Public library on 5th and 42nd.
Dress code: "Creative and/or slightly salty black tie optional (but general fanciness is emphatically required)"

Since I'm simply a guest and have no connections whatsoever to any organizer I was going to wear my
  • black Benjamin Lucente suit
  • white dress shirt
  • 2in black silk skinny tie
  • black cuff links
  • white linen pocket square
  • silver tie clip
  • black cap toe shoes (AE park ave
  • black belt with silver rectangular buckle

I was a lurker until I read that it would be a faux pas to wear a black suit to a black tie optional. I thought it didnt matter what color your suit was as long as it was dark? My goal is to not only be safe but I want it to be known that I know how to follow the traditional rules so my date can have all the fun with her outfit choices. Should I look into a dark grey suit? If not, are there any improvements to my current selection anyone can suggest?

Minor questions:
Is minimal brogue allowed with the shoes?
Is the silver buckle alright?

Thanks

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was a lurker until I read that it would be a faux pas to wear a black suit to a black tie optional.

If it's optional and you really won't/can't wear actual black tie then a black suit is probably fine. I would not wear a 'skinny' tie though (but that possibly depends on your definition of 'skinny')

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the broad and edgy parameters imposed by the invitation, your proposed ensemble sounds fine to me.

Reward

Reaction score
Opinions on the tie are duly noted, I'll be going with a more traditional width.

On a thinking out loud basis: I am now considering renting a tux or going with a dark charcoal suit. The event is in 2 weeks and I dont want to rush the process of finding a good tux to buy. I do however own the Lucente in grey, so Im leaning towards wearing that instead to eliminate any doubts of fashion correctness.

Reward

Reaction score
Just found this gem. Unfortunately Im in the dollar short category so charcoal suit it is. Thanks all
When the invitation says "black tie optional" that means evening semi-formal (tuxedo/dinner jacket) is much preferred but you will not be barred from entering if you are wearing a lounge (business) suit -- too bad! Do not mix any evening semi-formal elements with the lounge (business) suit! That would look absolutely hideous! So, that makes it solid navy or solid charcoal lounge (business) suit, white linen or silk pocket square, dark four-in-hand (long) tie, white point-collar French-cuff dress shirt with the heaviest starch obtainable, understated cuff links, black well-shined leather sole captoe balmoral oxford shoes, black or navy OTC socks (preferably silk), and NO bleeping wrist watch. When at all possible, it is much better to wear the preferred evening semi-formal (tuxedo/dinner jacket) than the day-late-and-a-dollar-short lounge (business) suit...

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's a bunch of stuff here about this topic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads