1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

creatine

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by fatherseanfan, Oct 2, 2006.

1. william

william Senior member

Pictures of bodybuilders from the early 1900's gives all the evidence I need about creatine, whey protein, etc: it's unnecessary. Back then they would just eat a lot and lift heavy. And they got plenty big and strong.

Unless you're going for the modern bodybuilder look then I would say save your money. Store bought supplements may give some users a bit of an "edge", but that's about it.

99.99% of your strength, health and body composition comes from what you eat and how you exercise.

2. knucks

knucks Senior member

I use CEE. Never used mono but have considered it because I've found it cheaper online.

The thing with CEE is that there is no water retention, as opposed to mono where there is..

3. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

Scary to take stuff that has not been around at least for one generation to know whether there are long term effects.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Pictures of bodybuilders from the early 1900's gives all the evidence I need about creatine, whey protein, etc: it's unnecessary. Back then they would just eat a lot and lift heavy. And they got plenty big and strong.

Unless you're going for the modern bodybuilder look then I would say save your money. Store bought supplements may give some users a bit of an "edge", but that's about it.

99.99% of your strength, health and body composition comes from what you eat and how you exercise.

Bodybuilders from the early 1900s ate raw steak because it contains creatine. I think it's a bit easier (and healthier) to just take the real thing rather than eating raw meat.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Scary to take stuff that has not been around at least for one generation to know whether there are long term effects.

Such as antibiotics and other drugs, genetically engineered food, etc? Most people consume something every day that was developed in the last 10 years.

6. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

Is it appropriate to use creatine when you're trying to lose weight? In the past 6 months I've cleaned up my diet and lowered my calorie intake (mostly by cutting alcohol to 2-3 drinks per week) and have lost 15-20 lbs off my average weight for the past 3 years. I need to lose about 20 more lbs long term, but no hurry.

I was considering using creatine powder as a pre-workout supplement (with juice or water) with the recommended dose (no loading) for about a month to see what happens. Safe plan, or is creatine just for skinny guys trying to bulk up?

I do a mix of moderate weights, cardio, and occasional classes like pilates or yoga (can't do heavy weights per shoulder problem). I've taken creatine a long time ago before workouts and noticed an energy boost during workouts, but I didn't take it consistently enough to judge the results.

7. ken

ken Senior member

Using creatine while losing is a little controversial. In your case, I'd lay off it. Unless you're pretty hardcore about training, the extra water weight caused by creatine is probably worse than its performance benefits. If you need a boost, try something like Diet Red Bull.

When you do finish losing and want to start a creatine supplement, use it immediately after the gym with your post-workout meal.

8. Opcn

Opcn Senior member

If you are loosing weight for health then creatine should be fine, if you are loosing weight for some number then Creatine will only hurt your goal. Drink water.

9. Maharaja

Maharaja Active Member

creatine monohydrate is bad stuff, bloating, deposition in kidneys, water retention and rapid water loss upon cessation of cycle kre-alkalyn is much better...its a broken down version of creatine. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/kre.html

10. ken

ken Senior member

^^
    The bloating part is true for a very small percentage of people. Otherwise myth.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I've actually had better results after switching from CEE to a combination of CMH/Creatine Gluconate.

12. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

rapid water loss upon cessation of cycle[/url]

So this means you lose the water weight as soon as you stop taking it? Is that the water weight in your muscles and elsewhere?

Sounds like it won't hurt to try it for a few weeks. My motivation is to look good for a caribbean trip 1st week in Dec..... at least for a few days before I get bloated from the booze and food. [​IMG]

I can easily take the gym routine up a notch or two while I'm taking it (though I don't see myself keeping it up long term).

13. Maharaja

Maharaja Active Member

the vast majority of water weight lost is in muscles

14. Maharaja

Maharaja Active Member

if you ever know anyone taking creatine monohydrate ask them to flex and feel their muscles

its squishier than normal,...kinda weord