creatine

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by fatherseanfan, Oct 2, 2006.

1. shelton

shelton Senior member

is creatine supposed to be taken 7 days a week, or only on the days you work out?

I haven't read up on it but from personal experience I suggest not taking it everyday. I tried it for awhile when I use to snowboard 6 days a week to help with soreness and muscle fatigue but I didn't like the side effects... It changes your personality and gives you a short temper like a drunken frat boy.

2. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

i've never heard of someone getting cranky off of creatine.

in fact, there are studies that show that creatine has NO effect on mood.

are you sure what you were experiencing wasn't placebo effect?

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

For me I have noticed a drop off of size and strength when I go off of creatine. I've been off and on about 5 times in he past 5 years and I usually lose a noticable amount of size when I go off.

I notice the same thing.

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

I am HUGE!

5. ang_kangkong

ang_kangkong Senior member

I've used creatine in the past and I can say that it's worked for me.

Don't like the loading phase ones. Around the 3rd day I'd get some irritable bowels. Lasted me about 2 days.

Pumps were better.

When I'd go off it, I got more definition, though. I think I retained water on it

Anybody find they had to pee more? Is it just me? Weird, I'd pee more, but the muscles seemed to have more water.

6. shelton

shelton Senior member

i've never heard of someone getting cranky off of creatine.

in fact, there are studies that show that creatine has NO effect on mood.

are you sure what you were experiencing wasn't placebo effect?

could've just been me but some of my friends who took it throughout the weightlifting class in our HS noticed the same thing. I think in general different people can always have different reactions, I'm sure being in your teens and drinking alcohol regularly will contribute to any side effects too.

here's a few people complaining about the same thing
    http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/andro95r.html

just a warning from my experience, I haven't taken any creatine in over 4 years and I am not interested in trying it again regardless of any benefits or side effects.

7. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

It changes your personality and gives you a short temper like a drunken frat boy.
    Are you serious dude?? The link you posted was regarding some guy taking creatine and 19-nor .... on paper 19-nor has the potential to affect hormone levels and in turn personality, although the likelihood of such an occurence is 1 in 1,000,000. MrR

8. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

I've used several, but I always go back to EAS Phosphagen, just the basic powder. It's cheap and it certainly works for me. Never had any urinary or bowel problems when taking it.

9. Soph

Soph Senior member

I haven’t read up on it but from personal experience I suggest not taking it everyday. I tried it for awhile when I use to snowboard 6 days a week to help with soreness and muscle fatigue but I didn’t like the side effects… It changes your personality and gives you a short temper like a drunken frat boy.

----- I've never seen one ounce of data nor have I ever heard of anyone even remotely mentioned increasing temper due to creatine. More likely it was something else. But if you have a study, I would like to see and review it.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I took creatine and it worked pretty well for me. Then, I got a kidney stone. It was damn paintful. Never took the stuff again.

11. AdamG

AdamG Senior member

It doesn't work for around 20% of the population.

I've taken it, didn't work for me. I've got 2 mates that took the same stuff and love it.

I'm just one of the 20% I guess.

12. Soph

Soph Senior member

It doesn't work for around 20% of the population.

I've taken it, didn't work for me. I've got 2 mates that took the same stuff and love it.

I'm just one of the 20% I guess.

What study(ies) showed it doesn't work for 20% of the population? What were the protocals: dosages, methods effectiveness etc.[​IMG]

13. Soph

Soph Senior member

I took creatine and it worked pretty well for me. Then, I got a kidney stone. It was damn paintful. Never took the stuff again.

People get kindey stones with or without taking creatine. However, it would be interesting to see if it does indeed increase your chances, but the data thus far I believe hasn't shown an increased adverse event over placebo of kidney stones. I've talked with many physicians, of course, these are practicing physicians not researches, and they do disagree, but a majority (which doesn't mean it's correct) think kidney stones are a genetic predisposition and/or a structional issue moreso than a dietary issue although sodium, calcium, higher protein diets may not be best if you are prone to them. You're a white, man after age 20 doesn't help either. Certain meds may make you retain calcium. Water however the best preventative medicine, keep the stream clean.

14. shelton

shelton Senior member

In regard to a few posts above...
    I just did a google search real quick and went direct to that page. You guys are probaly right that it was something else but reading through all the replies it seemed like there were people talking about just creatine too and having side effects similair to what I was talking about. Like I said before I have not read up on it at all and I was only speaking from what I experienced and I'm not trying to prove a point or have a debate about it.

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

People get kindey stones with or without taking creatine. However, it would be interesting to see if it does indeed increase your chances, but the data thus far I believe hasn't shown an increased adverse event over placebo of kidney stones. I've talked with many physicians, of course, these are practicing physicians not researches, and they do disagree, but a majority (which doesn't mean it's correct) think kidney stones are a genetic predisposition and/or a structional issue moreso than a dietary issue although sodium, calcium, higher protein diets may not be best if you are prone to them. You're a white, man after age 20 doesn't help either. Certain meds may make you retain calcium. Water however the best preventative medicine, keep the stream clean.

Yeah, you might be right and the studies might be right too, but I don't think it's worth taking the chance. I've only gotten one kidney stone in my life, and it was while I was taking creatine. Never got one before that and haven't gotten one since. Coincidence? Maybe. But I don't think the benefit of creatine is worth the risk of another kidney stone. That kidney stone was damn painful.

Having said that, I don't think I was drinking enough water while I was on creatine and I was drinking way too much caffeine at the time - so it was partially my own fault.