• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creatine Absorption - How Do You Guys Maximize Yours?

EmJay

Reaction score
Admittedly, I suppose an equally appropriate thread title would be "How Does One Minimize the Creatine Shts?"

Like a good number of folks on these forums, I workout regularly and use supplements to augment my diet (mostly protein), but recently decided to give creatine a shot. I've done a bunch of research and searches around this site and others (bodybuilding.com, etc), and although the information has been useful, I'm wondering if any of you have found a way to minimize any gastrointestinal side effects.

I use ON Micronized Creatine Mono, and thus far have mixed it with fruit juice (grape juice), my PWO shake, and water. I'm not going through the loading stage, but rather trying to stick with taking roughly 3-5g of the stuff per day. Seems like taking it with my protein shake and water hasn't yielded the best results vis-a-vis side effects (I'm familiar with the need to take it with simple sugars to aid absorption, so water obviously wasn't the best in that regard). Have recently taken it with grape juice and so far so good, but i'm not optimistic. Any strategies out there? Would taking 5g in 1g hits throughout the day minimize side effects? Would using a different type of creatine (Con-Cret, or something pre-mixed with dextrose and the like, like Gaspari's SizeOn) be a better option? Just wondering what some of your experiences have been. GI "distress" is frequently noted as a side-effect, but I rarely see any recommendations with respect to minimizing such side effects.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Creatine in tablets. That's the way I eliminate gastrointestinal effects. I'm currently using GNC's AMP Amplified Creatine.

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Creatine Ethyl Ester instead. I found that it absorbs better and doesn't bloat

Elusive

Reaction score
There is some chemical in the white flood brand of pre workout supplement that is supposed to help with creatine uptake maybe worth looking at as it is supposed to complement creatine

virus646

Reaction score

I stopped taking creatine because studies shown that creatine suppress your immunesystem, which explains why there are people who get sick more often while taking creatine.
5086.gif

links?

OP: Micronized creapure, with a shake, with a juice, whatever that makes you eat it. I used to take it with a spoon without problems.

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just started Kre-Alkalyne. Never used anything before, no gastro effects.

I'd be curious to see the immune system study myself.

kilgore

Reaction score
there's about a 15-minute window or so following a heavy workout where your body goes into this hyper anabolic mode where it CAN quickly utilize any protein intake you take. but beyond that window, any of your milkshakes and creatine fads are pure nonsense. so you might want to be sure exactly when you're gulping muscle milk before jumping ahead to these new strategies and products that pop out every other day.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does anyone bother with this **** anymore? I'm 100% supplement-free and I'm undoubtedly in the best shape of my life. Get off Bodybuilding.com and put some real work into the gym, rather than stuffing your body with garbage.

kilgore

Reaction score

Why does anyone bother with this **** anymore? I'm 100% supplement-free and I'm undoubtedly in the best shape of my life. Get off Bodybuilding.com and put some real work into the gym, rather than stuffing your body with garbage.

+1

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While it's far from phenomenal, creatine is not garbage and it has been proven to be effective.

stinger70

Reaction score
Creatine had ZERO effect on me. Im pretty sure its all in the mind. I didnt gain an ounce of weight from it (supposed to gain like 5lb water weight in the first couple weeks) and i didnt increase in strength at all, apart from the usual slight progression.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15-minute pwo anabolic window, lol'd hard.

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

there's about a 15-minute window or so following a heavy workout where your body goes into this hyper anabolic mode where it CAN quickly utilize any protein intake you take. but beyond that window, any of your milkshakes and creatine fads are pure nonsense. so you might want to be sure exactly when you're gulping muscle milk before jumping ahead to these new strategies and products that pop out every other day.

links plz?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some people just use creatine for faster recovery. I use it after very intense workouts so I won't be as sore the next day.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been a pretty anti-creatine guy for years, but I finally broke down and bought the 14 dollar can of Bodytech straight Creatine Mono.

I have to say....I love this ****. I don't know if all the claims made about it are true, but I do know this, my recovery time has improved so much I can finally follow my Starting Strength squat 3x a week program properly now.

Was taking me 7 full days to recover from squats, after I did my creatine loading phase this weekend, the soreness is completely gone after a day and I'm itching to get back to the gym.

Also broken all personal weight records, and noticing the muscles bulging big time - but that's surely just water weight and will leave once I cycle off this stuff.

Anyway....creatine mono + desiccated liver tabs.....I think that stack's a keeper.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads