• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creasing after first wear of new shoes

unprocessed

Reaction score
Not used to higher-quality dress shoes, so was curious if the type of creasing I experienced after my first wear is normal. There are two streaks that run only a third of the way across the shoe. FWIW, after the first wearing I experienced a good amount of soreness/slight "pain" in the arch of my right foot, but none in my left. Wondering if that may just be part of the break-in process. I've always worn slightly larger (and low quality) dress shoes than what I should because it's hard to find smaller sizes, but this pair is a half size smaller than what I normally wear, and it feels like a glove in comparison.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

gte872h

Reaction score
Most people have a foot that is slightly bigger than the other. Looks like your right foot is the bigger one. It’s the opposite for me. The width and or length could be a bit tight but could relax a bit after breaking them in more. BTW do the facings have a pretty decent V shape when laced or are they closing up fairly well?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often get some slight pain or aches in my arches with a new pair of shoes. Mostly when standing rather than walking.

This tends to disappear after a few wears and I assume this might be just the footbed starting to break in.

The creases look normal, everyone gets different creasing patterns dependant on foot shape and sizing of shoes etc. Keep them in cedar shoe trees between wears to help minimize creasing.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Most people have a foot that is slightly bigger than the other. Looks like your right foot is the bigger one. It’s the opposite for me. The width and or length could be a bit tight but could relax a bit after breaking them in more. BTW do the facings have a pretty decent V shape when laced or are they closing up fairly well?

The facings close up pretty well, just about fully closed when tightly laced. My right foot is definitely bigger, it takes a bit more effort to get the shoe on than my left.

gte872h

Reaction score
The facings close up pretty well, just about fully closed when tightly laced. My right foot is definitely bigger, it takes a bit more effort to get the shoe on than my left.

Ok. Sounds good then. They should loosen up as you break them in more. Enjoy the new shoes.

unprocessed

Reaction score
A brief update and another ask for some advice: I’ve now worn the shoes for about 2.5 days total. The soreness in my arch is improving, however my little toes are killing me, it’s slightly painful when I walk and they’re red and irritated when I take off my shoes. Is this indicative of stiff leather or a poor fit? Will this improve over time?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it'll improve. Sounds like a poor fit.

IMHO any shoe that hurts, even on the first wear, is wrong.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I doubt it'll improve. Sounds like a poor fit.

IMHO any shoe that hurts, even on the first wear, is wrong.
That’s what I’m afraid of. The thing is, the heel is great (no slippage) and the shoe feels good when I’m just standing. Not sure why it would be causing that kind of problem for my small toes, the shoes don’t seem overly tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads