1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cream Trousers for Black Tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GCL82, May 13, 2016.

1. BigBadBernard

BigBadBernard Senior member

I expect most of the responses above are from the US, where I suppose a degree of flexibility of formality comes into the equation, however, just to be crystal clear:

- the original poster asked about attire for a wedding. This means the event should be starting around midday or shortly thereafter and, as such, morning dress is the appropriate form for the ceremony and the breakfast thereafter. There are no real exceptions to this.

- evening parties are outside the scope of wedding attire. By this point everyone has retired, got changed, and returned. I suppose the dress code can be whatever the happy couple so deem from this point.

- I reiterate, a DJ would be hideously inappropriate attire and in bad taste for a wedding ceremony, other than in some sort of novelty environment.

2. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

You're making a huge assumption about the time of the wedding there. I've been to loads of evening weddings.

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I think everyone is assuming it's going to happen during the day, because the description says it's going to happen at a winery.

4. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

For me, it's all about the invitation saying "black tie". We can argue that traditionally it's wrong to do black tie during the day, how formality levels should differ on a winery or in different countries, etc. etc. etc.
    But the main point for me is that you are being invited to an event by people for whom it is a tremendously big deal. They want you to wear black tie. The respectful, polite thing is to do it. You could argue with them that they should change to strollers or morning wear to be more "appropriate" during the day or you could argue with them that if they want black tie, they should hold it after 6 PM/in the night. Or you could recognize you're a guest, it's not about you, it's what they want to do.
    The rest, to me, is completely secondary to being polite and respectful. You may feel differently about that or how you express that, of course. As the internet would say: YMMV.

2 people like this.
  5. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

^ This. End of.