1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cream suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

I'm looking all over for a lightweight cream-colored suit for summer in either 2 or 3-button. Any ideas on where I can get one? I haven't seen anything via the usual suspects, i.e. Bluefly, E-bay, etc. My local Macy's had some decent ones from Boss a while back, but they sold out before I could pick one up. I've been checking out Web sites for Nordstroms and Saks and have found nothing.

Any ideas? Keep in mind I am a bit geographically isolated being on an island in the Caribbean, so I can't hop into my car this weekend and drive somewhere like most of you can. I rely mostly on mail order and obscenely priced local boutiques.

Gracias

2. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

Well, if beggars can't be choosers, Banana Republic has 'tundra'-colored linen suits and khaki cotton twill suits on their website, both in 2-button models. J. Press also has a couple of cream suits in their summer catalogue, but I've never been a huge fan of the sack-style suit. There's also a few more adventurous cream-colored suits here, which I think are pretty cool, but which others might find... odd. Caveat: I haven't seen any of these suits in person, so you'd better look out for an online store with an ironclad return policy... Nick.

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Nick -

That is a very cool linen suit by Stacy Adams. One which I would be tempted to buy.

My only question would be, am I tall enough to pull off a 7-button jacket? I'm 6'3" with a 34-inch inseam but for some reason, a 7-button jacket just screams NBA Draft and I wonder if you need to be about 6'8" to pull off the look properly?

Just curious,

Bradford

4. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

My experience has told me that it really makes no difference how many buttons a suit has, provided the jacket itself is of a standard length, and the lapels of a fairly standard width. If, in order to accomodate those 4 extra buttons, a foot of extra length has been added to the hem of the jacket, then you'll probably look unbalanced. On the other hand, if those 7 buttons take up the same space as a standard 3-button, you should be okay. Also, if a jacket is a long-line, or 3/4 length, it helps if it's fitted at the waist. It's only when a jacket is extremely long, and bags at the waist, that it looks like you're wearing a bigger man's coat. By example, I'm 5'6", but I have a few 4-button, 3-piece suits, and they make me look no shorter or taller than any other suit I own. They're cut in a fairly traditional manner, with the lapel line of a 3-button suit, with some waist suppression, and a hem of the correct length - cut to the thumb knuckle when my arms are at the side, or thereabouts. And yes, a lot of NBA draft picks wear horrible suits, but I find it's the awful, awful color choices and disturbing amounts of bling bling that are more disconcerting than the number of buttons... Nick.

5. Joe G

Joe G Senior Member

Well, we share both height and inseam measurements, and I don't think I could pull that look off.