• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cream linen jacket with jeans and check shirt?

Flea Spray

Reaction score
Today I went out dressed very casually (jeans and a checked shirt) but ended up trying on a linen jacket in a shop. I was only trying it on for size/fit and didn't expect it to go at all well with what I was wearing, but was surprised at how reasonable it seemed.

I'm not the best judge of what goes together, so does anyone else think this jacket would go well with the kinds of clothing I'm wearing in the attached photo?

All the suit jackets I wear with jeans and casual shirts are dark, so it would be nice to have a light one for the summer, if it works.

CommenceFailure

Reaction score
I think with that jacket you look better than most dudes walkin' the street.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear it too if I were Brad Pitt.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, Brad Pitt, snarf! Nice jacket, ditch the jeans and trainers. Shirt could work, depending if tucked in/with tie/whatever? How much, btw?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flea Spray
Today I went out dressed very casually (jeans and a checked shirt) but ended up trying on a linen jacket in a shop. I was only trying it on for size/fit and didn't expect it to go at all well with what I was wearing, but was surprised at how reasonable it seemed.

I'm not the best judge of what goes together, so does anyone else think this jacket would go well with the kinds of clothing I'm wearing in the attached photo?

All the suit jackets I wear with jeans and casual shirts are dark, so it would be nice to have a light one for the summer, if it works.

Jacket is fine. Wear a small pattern check, stripe or solid shirt tucked in.
Lose those jeans. At least in the photos, they appear to have a yellowish wash.
Get "washless" jeans or at least jeans that have a whiter wash.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine.

If you are happy with a combination, ignore the rest of the world who will only saddle you with other prejudices.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh Brad.. loose the A&F shirt immediately..

Flea Spray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Nice jacket, ditch the jeans and trainers.

But then I'd look like some bloke wearing a linen suit. I was interested in adding this jacket to the casual look. As I said, I was surprised that it looked as good as it did with what I was wearing when I stood in front of the mirror (which is also how I took the photo).

The more I look at it, the more I think it looks good, it's just that I've been known to think things look good in the past, only to realise long afterwards that I looked like a cross between a clown and a TV game show host, so I thought I'd see if anyone here was horrified!

What I think I'll do is buy the whole suit but wear the jacket with jeans and brown boots most of the time, then wear the trousers and a less casual (and tucked-in) shirt when I want to have the genuine linen suit look.

Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
How much, btw?

It was in the UK retailer Marks & Spencer, and was £99. It was roughly half linen with the rest being silk and cotton, presumably to reduce creasing. It was also lined in fully synthetic fabric, so it's definitely a jacket designed for looks rather than keeping you cool.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flea Spray
Today I went out dressed very casually (jeans and a checked shirt) but ended up trying on a linen jacket in a shop. I was only trying it on for size/fit and didn't expect it to go at all well with what I was wearing, but was surprised at how reasonable it seemed. I'm not the best judge of what goes together, so does anyone else think this jacket would go well with the kinds of clothing I'm wearing in the attached photo? All the suit jackets I wear with jeans and casual shirts are dark, so it would be nice to have a light one for the summer, if it works.
Can work but Pitt looks like a doofus.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks fine. I would at least get some solid jeans and not the prefaded type you have on. Other than that you could get away with that look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads