• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cream-colored Silk Pocket Square: Indispensable or Banal?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yesterday, I picked up my finished tweed jacket from Rubinacci in NYC. I wasn't expecting to wear it that evening, but my friend wanted to meet me for a quick dinner so I figured I'd stop by Bergdorf to get a pocket square. I had about five minutes so I didn't have much time to think about it.

I wound up with a cream-colored silk square from Charvet. I plopped it in my pocket, and I was all set to go. I tend to think that such a pocket square is a very good staple, even if it's a bit boring. I have a hard time with white linen squares since I don't like the very harsh contrast. In most applications, I find a cream silk square would work equally well, but with a bit more panache.

Thoughts?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have come to agree with you about white linen. i don't like it much anymore. That said, I prefer patterned silk to plain.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Don't have one, never really been tempted. I generally don't like solid silk squares. The only one I have is (very) dark red, and I like to wear it with ensembles that are otherwise close to monochromatic.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two solid cream silk ones (kind of). One is solid cream in a heavy silk twill. I almost never pick it to wear. The other is a solid cream, but with a self-colored paisley pattern (only visible from up close) and has black edge trimming. I wear this one more.

I also rarely wear white linen anymore.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I still wear white linen more often than anything else. I just will not wear it with a wool or cashmere tie, and I mostly wear those in fall/winter.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't stand silk squares on myself, unless they are really muted madders. Silk squares can look good on others. Quite often, silk squares also look terrible on others.

But then, at this moment, I am wearing a coat that used to be on Ed's back and a tie that used to be in Jamison's hands. So, I realize that I'm f'ed to begin with today.

I don't think a cream silk pocket square has any panache per se, but that is okay...no reason to have every square inch fire on all cylinders.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have come to agree with you about white linen. i don't like it much anymore. That said, I prefer patterned silk to plain.

I've seen white linen squares look good on other people. I think the key is that I lean toward blue shirts and earthy fabrics. In that context, white looks way too obvious and way too graphic. I imagine a stark white square works best with a white shirt and a dark gray suit.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I can't stand silk squares on myself, unless they are really muted madders. Silk squares can look good on others. Quite often, silk squares also look terrible on others.

But then, at this moment, I am wearing a coat that used to be on Ed's back and a tie that used to be in Jamison's hands. So, I realize that I'm f'ed to begin with today.

I don't think a cream silk pocket square has any panache per se, but that is okay...no reason to have every square inch fire on all cylinders.

'Panache' was probably the wrong word. In fact, in a certain sense, I'd rather none of my clothes or accessories have it. But I think cream is at least marginally more interesting than white in a silk pocket square. In fact, to me, a white silk square is almost unwearable.

Personally, I can't stand linen squares. Blasphemy, I know. I may change my mind in the future, but for now I find them too crisp and sharply edged. If I want something without any sheen and with some interesting texture, I rely on a cream silk gauze square with brown rolled edges. It looks more like cashmere than silk. If I could, I'd stock up on a couple of dozen, but I've only ever seen them at Jay Kos and they're long gone.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a plain cream silk square- truth be told, it doesn't get used much.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maffofan,

First, we do not currently weave cream colored silk but your post has made me think that perhaps we should.

"I have a hard time with white linen squares since I don't like the very harsh contrast."

You do not mention the texture of your purchase but perhaps it is a smooth silk?

If so I can easily see your combination as working very well. in an elegant and subtle but just slightly sporty type of way.

By the way, I love your blog. Having two small kids I do not travel much so reading about your sartorial travels is a lot of fun.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Sam, the silk is smooth and extremely thin. It's pretty close to matte, with little to no sheen. If I were told I had to wear only one pocket square for the rest of my life, it would be cream.

Do you happen to know of the gauzy silk weave I mentioned above? It is absolutely matte and loosely woven, but with a good deal of body. It has a bit of fuzziness and you'd never guess it was silk. I assumed it was cashmere until I checked the label.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally don't wear solid colored pocket squares unless they have an interesting texture such as twill or paisley. I rarely wear white linen any more and find instead that I reach for *******, white-on-white silk with a floral texture. I've gotten multiple compliments on the official SF version that has a deep red border. I enjoy dressing in a way that looks conventional from a distance but contains a surprise, usually a textural surprise, up close. mafoofan, I understand your aversion to white silk as too stark and think cream would work better if you wear a lot of earthtones. To answer your original question, I think either a white or cream ps is indispensible; I prefer mine to have textural interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics