• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cream-colored Silk Pocket Square: Indispensable or Banal?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Do you happen to know of the gauzy silk weave I mentioned above? It is absolutely matte and loosely woven, but with a good deal of body. It has a bit of fuzziness and you'd never guess it was silk.

matte silk, loosely woven, gauzy, fuzzy... it's not chiffon, is it???

That would be very cool actually, in a weird sort of way; a chiffon pocket square.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Plain silk seems a bit boring to me but I envision a few cases where it might work.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
matte silk, loosely woven, gauzy, fuzzy... it's not chiffon, is it???

That would be very cool actually, in a weird sort of way; a chiffon pocket square.

Possibly. Although my pocket square sounds like it might be girly, I'm not really that girly, so I don't know what chiffon looks like. I'll look it up.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Plain silk seems a bit boring to me but I envision a few cases where it might work.

Boring can be a good thing.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever wear a solid silk square.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My initial reaction to a solid silk pocketsquare is that it reminds me of very bad prom photos and matching tie/PS gift sets. But, I'll put that aside, and be open minded (the way everyone is on SF
laugh.gif
).

I can envision a cream colored PS looking rather elegant, especially when paired with a linen or silk jacket with flecks of cream color or with a windowpane pattern in a cream. I think the key is to put it with a jacket that has a trace of cream and is busy enough on it's own to want a plain PS.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid cream silk is not the ideal choice for the tweed jackets you chose in my opinion. Rubinacci has some excellent patterned squares (like paisley) and those are very easy to pair with any tweeds (and suits too).

The solids look very simple on the shelf, but they are actually the most difficult. On the other hand, the motif/picture-type squares (or whatever they`re called) look complicated, they are actually the easiest to use.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
White cotton, particularly with colorful trimming, is underrated.

I especially like white linen with colorful borders for spring and summer. I have them in shades of blue, red, pink and orange that I got in NYC down in Soho at Kabay.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm truly surprised that so many of you are adverse to solid silk pocket square. I have dozens of pocket squares (mostly silk, some linen) in various patterns and colors; only two are solid. I used to like mixing and matching, but got tired and bored of it. Although I don't stay away from patterned squares as a rule, I tend toward the solid ones (one being cream silk gauze, the other being teal-ish blue cashmere with a brown boder).

Boring? Perhaps. But I guess that falls in line with my general attitude toward dressing. I guess I really just don't have an interest in coming up with a new look every day.

I do like my squares to have an interesting texture. Perhaps I should stick to cashmere over silk, then.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do like my squares to have an interesting texture. Perhaps I should stick to cashmere over silk, then.

where do you get cashmere pocket squares? been having trouble finding them in the US

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Solid silk squares don't work for me. I am a big fan of white linen though.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
where do you get cashmere pocket squares? been having trouble finding them in the US

I found the teal-ish blue at Louis Boston three years ago; I think it was by Luciano Barbera. But in general, you're right: they're hard to find. In fact, I can't remember the last time I've seen one in a store. But then, I haven't been looking that hard either.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1

Roda makes the nicest imo. I know they are sold at Harry Rosen in Canada and assume stores like BG, NM or Saks would have them too.

I too HATE solid silk squares. I guess part of the problem is that they are most often seen in the company of cheap black suits and matching neckties.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Although I don't stay away from patterned squares as a rule, I tend toward the solid ones (one being cream silk gauze, the other being teal-ish blue cashmere with a brown boder).

I don't consider ones with contrasting borders to be solid. I quite like those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads