• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy sandal prices

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but what kind of farcical insanity is this? Are they nuts? $310 for this? It's a pair of sandals. I don't care if they are Gucci.
F4M4634_mp.jpg
What about these Pradas for $175? Its just rubber.
S4M4979_mp.jpg
I mean, I might spend money on ridiculously over priced items (RLPL comes to mind) as the next guy, but there are limits. Hopefully, I am not alone here... Jon.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Well if it makes you feel any better, they were on sale in Selfridges for 80 pounds.

EDIT: The Gucci ones.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I think Lattanzi's are over 500.
smile.gif
koji
No. Â US$700. Â And it comes with extra soles.

Tom

Reaction score
I have some shoes like those. I call them flip-flops. They cost me $3

-Tom

naturlaut

Reaction score
I have some shoes like those.  I call them flip-flops.  They cost me $3

-Tom
And they probably last a life time too. Mine were passed down from my cousin, and later to my little sister. Not bad for outlasting three rough kids.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Tom @ 20 July 2004, 10:13) I have some shoes like those. I call them flip-flops. They cost me $3 -Tom
And they probably last a life time too. Mine were passed down from my cousin, and later to my little sister. Not bad for outlasting three rough kids.
And that's my whole point. I bought a $16 pair on sale for $7 at NM's and they are great, with a nice thin sole (but not too thin) and I have yet to see any signs of wear. Jon.

MikeF

Reaction score
It's particularly ridiculous once you go to Thailand and see lovely and far more adventurous thong sandals EVERYWHERE for US$2.

vero_group

Reaction score
Perhaps they are flip-flops for desperately insecure people who want people to notice the brand?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doh, do I have to be the first to admit it?  Very embarassing.
Ok, I bought a pair of DSQUARED2 flip-flops for about $100.  Like 99% of my clothes, no visible label, I just really liked them.  Maybe I can save a little face...I ended up returning them.  But not because they were too expensive, but because I thought they were too flat, as in wouldn't have enough arch support for my flat feet.
Call me crazy, but I wear flip-flops almost everyday, and it's hard to find something stylish.  Maybe "stylish" isn't the best word for flip-flops, but you know what I mean.  In any case, although far from justifiable, possibly excusable, since I would have gotten a lot of use out of them.  Flame on.

edit: Come to think of it, the first designer anything I ever bought was a pair of Prada Sport sandals, GASP. LOL, I guess I haven't come as far as I'd like to believe.
I dunno, I'm obsessed with sandals, I guess. Note that not all sandals are created equally...and I've worn a lot. IMO, the most durable sandal is no secret, Rainbow sandals. Worn by nearly every surfer alive. If you want to go cheap, I think the best are Locals, which I belive are only available in Hawaii. Excellent value.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doh, do I have to be the first to admit it?  Very embarassing.
Ok, I bought a pair of DSQUARED2 flip-flops for about $100.  Like 99% of my clothes, no visible label, I just really liked them.  Maybe I can save a little face...I ended up returning them.  But not because they were too expensive, but because I thought they were too flat, as in wouldn't have enough arch support for my flat feet.
Call me crazy, but I wear flip-flops almost everyday, and it's hard to find something stylish.  Maybe "stylish" isn't the best word for flip-flops, but you know what I mean.  In any case, although far from justifiable, possibly excusable, since I would have gotten a lot of use out of them.  Flame on.
Why don't you wear actual shoes? There are plenty of stylish shoes.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you wear actual shoes? There are plenty of stylish shoes.
Heh, I know. I'd actually like to think I own a few pairs of stylish shoes, but reasonable minds can differ.
As far as why? Man, this thread is making me do a lot of thinking for a Tuesday night, but I think I started wearing them in high school. Not only because I was/am extremely lazy, but also because I had either swim or water polo practice twice a day. Wearing sandals is a good alternative to wearing shoes because they help keep toes dry, preventing athlete's foot. Ok, not the greatest excuse, but that's all I got. Even now, I use the same excuse - I still workout probably close to twice a day, 6 days a week. If anyone on the board is an avid triathlete, you'd understand.

vero_group

Reaction score
I think you may have some functional justification there...

marc37

Reaction score
Nothing extroadinary about paying $300 for Sandals. l do think that $300 U.S for Gucci sandals is alittle over the top. There is nothing wrong with paying over $300 [for sandals] if they are of good quality. l will pay $300 - $400 Aust for sandals. Look at the picture below (sorry about the messy picture); lt is a good year welted sandal from Laszlo Vass's book `Handmade shoes for men'. These would be around $800 - $1,000 U.S, maybe more. Don't know who makes this sandal: it looks girly but, in 110 degree weather l wouldn't knock them back. A pretty decent sandal l would say.
sandle.jpg
We must buy good quality at all times possible.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads