1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy sandal prices

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Jul 20, 2004.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm sorry, but what kind of farcical insanity is this? Are they nuts? $310 for this? It's a pair of sandals. I don't care if they are Gucci. [​IMG] What about these Pradas for $175? Its just rubber. [​IMG] I mean, I might spend money on ridiculously over priced items (RLPL comes to mind) as the next guy, but there are limits. Hopefully, I am not alone here... Jon.

2. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Well if it makes you feel any better, they were on sale in Selfridges for 80 pounds.

EDIT: The Gucci ones.

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I think Lattanzi's are over 500. [​IMG] koji

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have seen Yohji Yamamoto sandals for $1100.

5. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

No. Â US$700. Â And it comes with extra soles.

6. Tom

Tom Senior member

I have some shoes like those. I call them flip-flops. They cost me $3

-Tom

7. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

And they probably last a life time too. Mine were passed down from my cousin, and later to my little sister. Not bad for outlasting three rough kids.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(Tom @ 20 July 2004, 10:13) I have some shoes like those. I call them flip-flops. They cost me $3 -Tom
    And they probably last a life time too. Mine were passed down from my cousin, and later to my little sister. Not bad for outlasting three rough kids.
    And that's my whole point. I bought a $16 pair on sale for $7 at NM's and they are great, with a nice thin sole (but not too thin) and I have yet to see any signs of wear. Jon.

9. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

It's particularly ridiculous once you go to Thailand and see lovely and far more adventurous thong sandals EVERYWHERE for US$2.

10. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Perhaps they are flip-flops for desperately insecure people who want people to notice the brand?

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Doh, do I have to be the first to admit it?  Very embarassing.
    Ok, I bought a pair of DSQUARED2 flip-flops for about $100.  Like 99% of my clothes, no visible label, I just really liked them.  Maybe I can save a little face...I ended up returning them.  But not because they were too expensive, but because I thought they were too flat, as in wouldn't have enough arch support for my flat feet.
    Call me crazy, but I wear flip-flops almost everyday, and it's hard to find something stylish.  Maybe "stylish" isn't the best word for flip-flops, but you know what I mean.  In any case, although far from justifiable, possibly excusable, since I would have gotten a lot of use out of them.  Flame on.

edit: Come to think of it, the first designer anything I ever bought was a pair of Prada Sport sandals, GASP. LOL, I guess I haven't come as far as I'd like to believe.
    I dunno, I'm obsessed with sandals, I guess. Note that not all sandals are created equally...and I've worn a lot. IMO, the most durable sandal is no secret, Rainbow sandals. Worn by nearly every surfer alive. If you want to go cheap, I think the best are Locals, which I belive are only available in Hawaii. Excellent value.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Why don't you wear actual shoes? There are plenty of stylish shoes.

13. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Heh, I know. I'd actually like to think I own a few pairs of stylish shoes, but reasonable minds can differ.
    As far as why? Man, this thread is making me do a lot of thinking for a Tuesday night, but I think I started wearing them in high school. Not only because I was/am extremely lazy, but also because I had either swim or water polo practice twice a day. Wearing sandals is a good alternative to wearing shoes because they help keep toes dry, preventing athlete's foot. Ok, not the greatest excuse, but that's all I got. Even now, I use the same excuse - I still workout probably close to twice a day, 6 days a week. If anyone on the board is an avid triathlete, you'd understand.

14. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

I think you may have some functional justification there...

15. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Nothing extroadinary about paying $300 for Sandals. l do think that $300 U.S for Gucci sandals is alittle over the top. There is nothing wrong with paying over $300 [for sandals] if they are of good quality. l will pay $300 - $400 Aust for sandals. Look at the picture below (sorry about the messy picture); lt is a good year welted sandal from Laszlo Vass's book `Handmade shoes for men'. These would be around $800 - $1,000 U.S, maybe more. Don't know who makes this sandal: it looks girly but, in 110 degree weather l wouldn't knock them back. A pretty decent sandal l would say. [​IMG] We must buy good quality at all times possible. [​IMG]

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hahahahahahahahahahahah. I can only assume that this is one of your wierd jokes. Those are probably some of the ugliest mandals I've ever seen - it doesn't matter if they were stitched by teeth by the best shoemakers out there. Besides, you Alan Flusser fans out there should know that a good shoemaker, like a good tailor, doesn't necessarily have good tastes - gentlemen do. Use your damn judgement. If you are going to wear sandals outside of the beach, get a pair of leather flip flops. Otherwise, wear a pair of Rainbows or Reefs for the pool and hanging out in your backyard. Eric, I could never understand (unless you live in Malibu or Hermosa, or Santa Monica,) why people in LA wear sandals at all. Your feet get completely grimy after about 5 minutes, and freeze everytime you go indoors. Lightweight sneakers always seemed, for me anyway, the way to go.

17. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

That would explain a lot if marc37 has been joking on his posts. I thought he had been serious.

18. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Maybe l shouldn't get a pair of these handmade afterall. [​IMG]

19. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

(marc37 @ 21 July 2004, 07:32) [​IMG]
    Maybe l shouldn't get a pair of these handmade afterall. [​IMG]
    The Guccis do look a lot better than those.

20. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

It's not that I don't like the Prada sandals I picture, on the contrary I like them very much, but the price is not justified.

Unlike like LV Lombok Loafers, which cost $475 (amore than they should), but are pretty well made, have fairly good leather (quite supple), have a well-designed rubber driver's sole and fit particularly well if you have a slightly narrow foot, and require smaller sizes.

Thus, the price is more justified on the LV's than the Pradas.

Jon.