• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CRAZY, Reviews of Newcomer Vahtia.

ponpon_hehe

Reaction score
Hello, Styleforum.

I originally posted this on Reddit, but I think this brand needs more recognition as they have decent products at a decent price.

So, here is my review.

This will be my first post here. So, please forgive me if something is missing.

Story :

I've been dying for a pair of Loafers as a daily beater. As well as boots that I can dress up or down. After months of saving, I had finally had enough money to get 2 pairs of shoes. But, by the time I was going to spend all my hard-earned money. BAM!!, the pandemic went crazy.

The IDR was free-falling, so getting shoes from European brands like Meccariello, Vass, and so on was out of options. Therefore, I tried to contact the local shoemakers such as Winson, Sagara, and so on. But, most of them told me that it might take at least 4 months for 1 pair, with 2 pairs it might take up to 6 months. Well, I can't afford to wait that long. Yeah, I'm a bit impatient.

Prelude:

Before we dive into the review, I'd like to talk about this brand, Vahtia. Hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia. Though they are based in Jakarta, their workshop is operating in Bandung. Just like any shoemakers I mentioned above. The first time I discovered them was in mid-march. When I was lying on my bed, scrolling through Instagram in the middle of the night (like you do). Too bad they had to temporarily shut their workshop down, due to pandemic. They focus mainly on dress shoes with European influence, as well as leather from European tanneries. There wasn't much information on their Instagram when I followed them. Until one day, I saw their Instagram stories for their sample sale. A bit intrigued, then I sent them DM about what was on sale, turned out they had the size, and the article that I wanted. So, I bought them for IDR 2.750.000 or approximately USD 197. The full price is IDR 4.995.000 or approximately USD 350.

Alright, without further ado. Let's dive into the review.

Album:

Article: Merlin Tassel Loafer (Sample Sale).

Color: Sapphire Blue, hand-dyed with subtle patina.

Upper: Du Puy Sicalf SF.

Lining: Veg-Tan Calfskin.

Construction: Handwelted Construction (Flatwelt).

Insole: Veg-Tan Leather with Cork filling and steel shank.

Outsole: Single Leather dyed in black, closed channel with a slightly beveled waist.

SPI: 9.

Size: True to size, 43D / 8.5 UK / 9.5 US (according to their website).

Last: Pegasus ( Round Toe).

Toe and Heel stiffener: Leather.

Quality:

Leather is very nice, tight grain, and smooth. It felt a bit stiff during the first wear. But the leather started to soften after wearing them for the second time and so on. Top-notch craftsmanship with no missing sewing detected neat stitching and finishing. Outsole and Insole are hard but gradually became softer after second wear. Really good for summer.

Fit:

I don't know what my Brannock size is, but I wear 43/44 for running shoes. They feel comfortable out of the box with a bit of heel slip for the first wear. It only happens on my right foot because it's smaller than the left, but the problem was gone on the second wear. But, it seems like 42EU / 9UK / 8US would fit great.

That is my review for the first article, so hold your horses because I've got another one.

This article is rather interesting because of the design, it's Austerity brogue boots with a touch of balmoral pattern and a bit rugged-ish. Yet, still sleek and dressy. I bought them for IDR 4.796.000 or approximately USD 342, the full price is at IDR 5.995.000 or approximately USD 425. They gave me 10% off because I participated in their sample sale and another 10% off for the first non-sale purchase voucher. You will get the 10% off for the first purchase if you subscribe to their newsletter.

So, it was a big win for me. HURRAAAYYY!!.

Alright, let's jump into it.

Album:

Pardon my photography skill.

Article: El Cid Austerity Boots.

Upper: Annonay Vegano.

Color: Mahogany, hand-dyed with a subtle vintage patina.

Lining: Veg-Tan Calfskin.

Insole: Leather with Cork feeling and steel shank.

Construction: Handwelted (Flatwelt).

Outsole: Dainite studded sole.

SPI: 9.

Size: True to size, 42D / 8 UK / 9 US.

Last: Hippogriff ( Chiseled Toe).

Toe and Heel stiffener: Leather.

Extras: 1 free polishing voucher and thank you card.

Quality:

Leather is firmer than the loafers, yet beautiful. I don't know how the leather will crease. But, I'm satisfied with the leather. Vegano is the same leather that is used by Carmina for their shoes.

Craftsmanship is top-notch as well. The color looks more reddish under direct sunlight in the picture, but more brownish if you look at it in person.

STUNNING!

Fit:

I decided to size down, considering I got heel slips on the loafers.

And they fit better, no heel slip, a bit snug but overall comfortable.

Conclusion:

Satisfied with the products and service, the delivery only took a few hours with Gojek (similar to Uber, but with the motorcycle) for the same city delivery. As for international delivery, they also provide discounted express service with DHL.

Also, the free polishing voucher is a big win, because sometimes we're just too busy to take care of our shoes. It doesn't matter how much we love doing it.

I'm also happy because I have more options to get quality shoes from local shoemakers. Though the price is considerably high. But, I don't have to pay for tax and duties, at least.

Also, they have a proper website, because not so many Indonesian brands do. Even if they do, there must be something missing, either price, limited payment channel, and no extra PayPal fee for the international order as they don't use PayPal.

Technical wise, I think they are at the same level as TLB Mallorca. Judging from the material, maybe a bit better due to construction, and their shoes are almost 100% handmade except the closing.

Maybe you can comment below if you have experience with TLB Mallorca.

One of the best available in the market in a similar price range (sub USD 500) but still below Carmina.

I don't know about Meermin, so feel free to write your experience with Meermin.

If you're familiar with Winson or Fortuna, I think their Nobles line, which is their standard line is above Winson's regular line, but still below the Grandeur line. I don't know about Onderhoud, because they have different styles.

But, it's a good start for a newcomer. As most Indonesian brands start with the local cow, which quality needs more improvement.

Pros:

- Good leather.

- Hand welted construction.

- Sleek looking.

- Amazing craftsmanship.

- Proper Website.

- Discounted shipping fees to compensate for the free polishing service that is only eligible for the local market.

Cons:

- Only offer RTW at the moment.

- No shoe trees available.

- Limited article.

- Only have D width last.

Overall score 7,5/10.

I suggest you get them before they explode.
As you will get close to shoes that are USD 700+ with only a fraction of the price.

Also, the last time I checked, they are having a special launching discount of 25% plus another 10% if you subscribe to their newsletter.

So that will be 35% OFF.
Marvelous bang for a buck.
Watch for their factory second and sample sale.
So, that's my humble review. Feel free to comment and give your opinion.

Regards,

ponpon_hehe

ponpon_hehe

Reaction score
Wow, these look really good. So, for them D is a narrow, correct? So, if I wear an 8.5UK standard, should I go with 9UK?

Their sizing is true to size, so D is their standard width.
But I think you should contact them and give them your measurement.
At a glance, their chiseled toe last looks similar to Vass' K.
They will answer your question without being pushy and salesy.

London_UK

Reaction score
Leather is firmer than the loafers, yet beautiful. I don't know how the leather will crease.

Any update on that part ? can you upload a picture, as I am considering ordering a pair in their current sale.

I just hope the VAT duty will not be crazy .....

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Recently, got the St. George balmoral oxford. These were offered free of charge. Kinda like the last and pattern. Nice leather, a quite narrow last for the toes but with a high instep. Lets see how they break-in.

A little unboxing video:

And some extra pics:

ponpon_hehe

Reaction score
Any update on that part ? can you upload a picture, as I am considering ordering a pair in their current sale.

I just hope the VAT duty will not be crazy .....

The leather has become softer and they've become comfortable after the 4th wear.
I'll upload some pictures once i'm home.

Recently, got the St. George balmoral oxford. These were offered free of charge. Kinda like the last and pattern. Nice leather, a quite narrow last for the toes but with a high instep. Lets see how they break-in.

A little unboxing video:

And some extra pics:

oh, lucky you!

ponpon_hehe

Reaction score
i just saw this post on facebook buy-sell group decided to download some pictures.

they might not be your preference.
But it's a deal i wouldn't want to miss if i had enough budget for them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-09 232440.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-09 232440.png
    572.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 136681204_1514895722042561_7026658651731154488_o.jpg
    136681204_1514895722042561_7026658651731154488_o.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 137574736_1514895765375890_2437226576669788271_o.jpg
    137574736_1514895765375890_2437226576669788271_o.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 137079517_1514895955375871_8022367221769358070_o.jpg
    137079517_1514895955375871_8022367221769358070_o.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 137300813_1514895855375881_7518709459080913405_o.jpg
    137300813_1514895855375881_7518709459080913405_o.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 184

kg13

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Can anyone on here help me reach Vahtia or Aji the owner? I have an order in place abd I was promised that my trial shoes would be shipped beginning of October. I sent a message and I have not received responses or updates from this company for 1 month already.

I would appreciate anyone's assistance on this. Thank you in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads