1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy? Meermin's for C&Js? Talk some sense into me.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by K to Wall St, Aug 27, 2013.

1. K to Wall St

K to Wall St Active Member

So if my math is right, I can get 2 pairs of CJ for 325 euro each, less VAT, plus 35 euro shipping, at 1.32 dollar/euro works out to $380 per pair. Plus I can try them on next time I'm in NYC before I buy.

Or I can spend $350 per pair for Meermin LMs when you include duties, and not get to try on in advance.

Or pay $344 per pair (with the 6% tax) for loake from CT.

Two conclusions:
    1 - CJ starting to look like a no brainer
    2 - I got ripped off paying $609 (including tax) for my Westbournes

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Keep the shoes you have

Get a pair of black captoes and a pair of black wingtips from a shoemaker you like (C&J, Meermin etc) that is within your budget

Stop comparing value or you'll end up dressed like a guy who optimizes/compares value.

3. K to Wall St

I'm a Wall Street stock analyst, so that's a pretty fair description of who I am and how I'd like to be perceived in business settings. :)

4. konda

konda Senior member

^ I'd only buy EG and G&G if I was a WS analyst and crap on everything else.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You'll never, ever dress well thinking like that, it's about aesthetics and values not "value". No one is asking you to wear something out of your comfort zone or that is not "business appropriate", but :

1) Once something is purchased and it works don't fret over it, just wear it and let go.
    2) You're appreciate things a lot more if you go for what looks good to you than "what is the best value." These are not the same. Any brand recommended here is prob good enough and durable so all you have to care about is how much you're willing to pay and if you like the shape/leather.

1 person likes this.
  6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Yeah, but you're never going to talk about how you optimized your shoe purchases. You have to wear and enjoy wearing the shoes so that you can focus on more important business at hand. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the weak British Pound to buy things in the UK or finding cheaper ways to get the same thing, but I'd rather own things I like, especially shoes which can last for many years with proper care.

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I don't think you got ripped off on your C&Js. I assume you bought these from the store in NYC? What you got was the ability to walk into a store, try on shoes, and get a pair that fits. Sure, you could have ordered direct from C&J, but then you may have ended up with the wrong size, had to exchange them, and deal with the associated headaches. You also bought the knowledge of your proper size on the 348 last, so now you should be able to order anything on the same last from C&J directly.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I think C&J are 325 GBP. You should re-calculate.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1.

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I was gonna say, 325 eu would be very cheap for C&Js.

11. K to Wall St

Store experience definitely has value, its tempting to be a show-roomer but I always feel bad using the store then buying online.

I'm a junior analyst so no EGs for me. One of my managers makes probably 15-20x what I do and refuses to spend more than $200 on shoes. That's not really relevant but I always found it interesting.

Good call on GBP, makes them about $445 per pair.

12. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

I believe the prices in the brochure were set prior to VAT increase. The price was increased from these to accommodate for the increase in VAT. I may be wrong, though.

13. K to Wall St

Liking them is a given, but everyone has limited resources and tries to allocate them as best they can. If you like pair A by just $10 more than pair B, but they cost $200 more, you're probably better off taking your girl out to a nice dinner with the difference.

I'm happy driving my VW, would a BMW make me happier? Yes, but then I'd have less cash to spend on clothes and other discretionary things I buy. We're all constantly trying to optimizing our purchases, whether you think about it that way or not.

But I do agree with you - I need to just decide or shut up

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out, a good way to pick out Loake 1880s is by the patterns on the sole.

15. K to Wall St

CT doing a $50-discount coupon from Living Social that looks like it will work on their Loake 1880s level shoes. There's a Loake store nearby where I can try things on... anyone have any idea what last these two pairs are at Loake?

Brown Luxury Calf Brogue (looks like a Loake Hilton?):
    http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shoes...alf-brogue-shoes?q=usddefault||MC089DBN|||300 to 399.99|8,|||||||||

Black Luxury Calf Leather Oxford (looks like a Loake Rothschild?)
    http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shoes...her-Oxford-shoes?q=usddefault||MC003BLK|||300 to 399.99|8,|||||||||

16. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I don't know if that's a good deal to be honest. Wouldn't it still be cheaper to order from the UK?

17. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

18. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Edwardsof Manchester is having their annual sale! 20% off most models, including Loake. OP, jump on this now; you won't find a better deal.

Use code: Sep2013